Chapter Two

Silence hangs in the room as Tony and I stare at each other, neither one of us wanting to spill the secret that will cause the rest to come overflowing into our lives. Closing my eyes, I take several deep breaths as my blood begins to boil, something within me sparking as I swallow down the fury and open my eyes again before nodding once at Tony.

"He was protecting me from..." I pause, my voice trembling slightly as my hand begins to shake by my side. Grabbing it in my other hand, I curl my trembling hand into a fist as I take another deep breath and compose myself. "from Hydra."

Any positive energy that was in the room before is now swept out the open window as my mood spreads to the rest of the team, each one of them cautious as they glance at Tony who is still leaning against the table. His hands grip tightly onto the table, the wood digging into his palms as he stares at the table, his eyes blinking rapidly as he holds back his anger.

"Why do you need to protect her from Hydra?" questions Steve as he shuffles uncomfortably in his seat, his eyes soft and sympathy-ricken as he looks at me. Smiling weakly at him, I let my eyes fall onto the floor as my mind begins to swirl with memories of the past, each one oozing with pain and guilt.

"So that they don't experiment on her," Tony explains as he looks up from the table, his eyes heavy with guilt as his eyes meet mine. Sighing, I soften my shoulders as I pull myself up from the chair and walk across to his side, gently placing my hand on his shoulder as I squeeze it reassuringly. He still blames himself. Even after all these years. "again."

"Again?" repeats Nat as her voice fills with sympathy, a complete opposite to her lively voice earlier as she leans forwards in her chair, her elbows resting against the table as she narrows her eyes at us. Composing himself again, Tony clears his throat as he opens his mouth to speak only for me to shake my head at him as he quickly stops. Nodding once, Tony sits down as I clear my throat and take a deep breath.

"About 16 years ago, Hydra kidnapped me when I was out with Tony," I explain, pausing to take deep breaths between each word in order to stop myself from either crying or screaming, maybe both. "They took me to their base and experimented on me. Tony eventually found me and rescued me but..." I lift my arm, pulling up the sleeve that covers my wrist to reveal a small tattoo, a number that was used to identify me back in the Hydra camp. A reminder every day of what they did to me. "it didn't change what happened and Hydra has been after me ever since."

Suddenly, the large double doors that stand on the far side of the room come flying open, the metal handles clattering against the wall behind it as each set of eyes in the room turn to the door. My chest tightens as Tony stands up straighter, his hand reaching for my wrist as he grips it tightly and pulls me closer to him. Natasha and Steve stand up as the girl to my left stands up, her hands glowing a bright red as her eyes begin to glow. I knew the second I came out of hiding they'd find me. Well, I'm not going down without a fight.

"Hey, Mr. Stark. Sorry, I'm late but I had homework..." a small figure emerges from the door as the girl next to me sends a red blast at his head as he dodges it, the wall above his head breaking as his eyes widen. Pulling his earphones from his ears, the small boy drops his backpack to the floor as Tony lets go of my wrist whilst Natasha and Steve sit down again.

"Sorry kid," mumbles Tony as he turns his back to the door and drops down into his chair, his head in his hands as he takes several deep breaths. My heart stops as the small body walks across to the table, his brows furrowed as his eyes land on me. Opening his mouth as if to say something, the kid smiles at me before he closes his mouth again and points his finger at me whilst his eyes narrow.

"Peter, right?" I ask him as I smile softly at him, the panic leaving my body as he glances cautiously at Tony who just nods at him. Chucking to myself, I watch as Tony points towards me before opening his mouth as if to gesture for Peter to say hello. Just like Bambi when he first met Thumper.

"Yeah right erm, Hi." he replies as he offers me his hand only to realize he's still got his phone in his hand causing him to almost drop it. Before it can hit the floor, I catch it in my hand, the cool metal digging into my palm as I hand it back to Peter. "Sorry, but who are you?" he asks as he carefully places the phone in the front pocket of his backpack before turning back to face me with a smile.

"I'm Abi and I'm Tony's sister." I announce as I take Peters, now empty, outstretched hand and grip it firmly as I shake it. At first Peter smiles, completely unaware of what I've said until it finally sinks in. His eyes widen as his mouth drops open wide

" MR STARK HAS A SISTER?!" he shouts, his voice echoing off the walls as he glances quickly between me and Tony. He mouths woah with his lips, no sound coming out as he continues to look back and forth between us, his eyes still as wide as they'll go.

" Yeah, we've been there already kid" interrupts a male whose stood at the back of the meeting room. As he pulls himself up from the chair he was sat in, Sam crosses his arms against his chest and narrows his eyes at me. " Do you have any powers Abi?" he asks as he glances down at my hands that drop down by my side, my own eyes following his.

"Maybe I do. Maybe I don't." I tease playfully as I smirk at the team and raise my hand, a small spark dancing between my fingers as they glow lightly.

"What can you do?" asks the synthezoid who sits just behind the redhead with the magic as he leans closer to me, his  golden eyes fixed on my hands as the glow begins to fade away.

"Why don't you show us when we go training tomorrow?" Steve asks, a small smirk on his face as he leans back in his chair, his eyes scanning mine as a smile creeps onto my face.

"No, absolutely not." interrupts Tony, his voice stern and cold as he glares daggers at both Steve and me, his jaw locked tightly. "Never in a million years is my sister joining the team." Rolling my eyes, I head toward the door and push it open, pausing in the doorway as I turn to look once more at the team.

"Why don't we let Abi decide." suggests Natasha from the back of the room as she smiles softly at me, nodding for me to vocalize my own opinion for once. Feeling everyone's gaze upon me, I take a deep breath as my palms begin sweat.

Glancing to my left, I catch the gaze of Tony as he shakes his head and raises his eyebrows at me. "What time do we start?" I asks as a smile forms on my face, Tony's eyes rolling as he grabs the folder off the desk and begins heading for the door along with the rest of the team where he says goodbye to Peter before returning to the large desk.

"Six o'clock tomorrow morning." says the petit woman as she heads for the door, a sokovian accent hanging in her voice as she pushes the door open. "Don't be late." she shouts from half way down the corridor as the large double doors slide closed leaving just me and Tony in the room.

"That's it, no more cheeseburgers for you young lady," Tony mumbles as he gathers folders and pieces of paper from the desk, each one a report on the recent mission they'd been on. Rolling my eyes, I grab a piece of paper that lies at my foot just as something catches my eye. Frowning, I stand back up just as Tony snatches the paper from within my grasp, throwing it back into a folder before he marches out the room.