Chapter 6 | The News

I pulled Dylan's clothes off of me, setting them down neatly at the end of my bed, not wanting to get questioned from my father. I slipped a plain T-shirt over my head, also slipping on a pair of black jeans, buttoning them up securely around my small waist.

I sighed, pulling my hair into a cute ponytail, brushing my fingers through my wispy side bangs a few times. I doused myself in my least favourite perfume, wasting it, ensuring that no scent of Dylan remained.

Dylan's scent comforted me, but I didn't need my father suspecting I had slept anywhere else other than Gia's, knowing he'd never let me out again if he knew I had lied.

I flung my bedroom door open, only to bump into a solid chest. Looking up, I saw my smiling father, his pearly white teeth glistening.

"Oh my God, hey Dad," I laughed, taking a step back.

"Hey, how was it? Did you have a great time?" my father asked, pulling me in for a quick hug.

"Yeah it was good."

"You didn't get too drunk did you?" teased my Dad, pointing at me accusingly.

I shook my head, chucking. "I barely drank," I lied, hoping my father would let it go, not needing another lecture today.

"Wow, well lunch will be ready in a minute. Do you mind going and helping Jared set the table?"

"Sure," I replied, making my way down the stairs to see Jared placing the plates down neatly at the dinner table.

"Can you get the knives and forks?" he asked.

I nodded in return, quickly grabbing them from the drawer as my father opened up the oven, pulling out whatever masterpiece he had created this time.

"I hope you're hungry, because Chef Patrick Mason has done it once again," my Father joked, plopping the dish in the middle of the table, causing my stomach to growl. I was starving, and I definitely needed some food after last night.

As we dug in, Jared continued to smirk at me whenever Dad brought up last night, so I shot him a glare, shaking my head, telling him to leave it, causing him to laugh.

"You kids know something I don't?" asked Dad, raising his eyebrows.

"No, he's just being annoying," I replied, rolling my eyes.

"It's what I'm best at," laughed Jared, wiping his mouth with his sleeve, dropping his knife and fork down onto his empty plate.

"You two should go and grab your jackets. The announcement is in about twenty minutes, and I want to get there early to get a good spot," said my Dad as he cleared up the empty plates.

"Announcement?" I asked, confused.

My father looked at me, shaking his head. "Yes, the announcement Alpha Paul is making today in the ceremony hall. I told you about this last week Clara."

"Oh, yeah, of course, I must have just forgotten," I replied, waving my hands in the air.

"Do you know what it's about?" asked Jared, wheeling his way over to my father as he washed the dishes.

"The rumour is Alpha Paul is paying some top Alpha to come and train our fighters. Apparently he's pretty experienced."

I furrowed my brows, looking over at Jared who had cleared his throat awkwardly, dropping his gaze. "Why would he need to do that?" I asked.

"For the safety of the pack Clara. It's no secret that our fighters have lost motivation recently. They're not as skilled as they once were," replied my Dad.