eight °

"here!" minji waved at hyejin, gesturing her to come over to where she was

"here!" minji waved at hyejin, gesturing her to come over to where she was. their classroom was filled with people, including their classmates, seniors and even teachers. hyejin, who just came back from the toilet was astounded by the sight of the crowd in their classroom.

"i left for two minutes or something, and what, the classroom is full of people now?" hyejin scratched her head in confusion. it was a tradition for students of seoyeon high school to take pictures together before their long holidays began, and this year wasn't any different. students roamed from floor to floor, looking for their friends to take pictures with for the memories. couples were being flirty with each other, students fangirling or fanboying over the popular students in school, strict teachers smiling at the sight of a camera, all sorts of events were happening all at once. the school had once again become lively, no longer quiet like class time.

"when you left, your prince charming came to this floor and took pictures with a few students!" minji exclaimed excitedly, eyes beaming with joy and admiration. "no way," hyejin's eyes widened. "lee taeyong came?"

lee taeyong. everyone in seoyeon high school knew him. taeyong was the swimming team captain, and he was irresistibly good at swimming. apart from being known for his outstanding swimming abilities, his face was next to perfection, with some saying that his face was sculpted by god himself. and his academics? he was the top of his grade. taeyong had managed to attract tons of admirers from school, winning the hearts of many with his unexpected charms and talents.

"he came! you missed it hyejin!" "screw my bladder!" hyejin whined, unintentionally throwing air punches in the process. "if only i didn't feel the urge to pee!" hyejin's complaints about her bladder went on and on, until she noticed that minji was staring at something behind her with her mouth dropped wide open.

"what?" hyejin turned around, just to see taeyong smiling cheekily at her. taeyong was standing right behind her, looking more angelic than ever.

"hey there, i heard that you were looking for me?" taeyong asked, making hyejin blush, cheeks flushed with a bright shade of red.

taeyong looked into hyejin's eyes for a few seconds before continuing to speak. "i'm sure you know i'm taeyong from grade 12. what about you?"

"oh me?" hyejin began to stutter, while minji was giggling at her friend's reaction. it was a sure thing that minji was going to tease her after this ends. "i'm yoo hyejin, grade 11."

"smile for the picture!" taeyong whipped out his phone, ready to take a selfie with hyejin as he wrapped his arm around her shoulder. the expression on hyejin's face said everything she felt, stunned with butterflies in her stomach.

this is too good to be true, it almost feels like a dream.

click

"you look good in these photos! i'll send you the pictures later!" taeyong flashed his signature charming smile as he swiped through his photos to check out the pictures they just took together. "i'll get going now, let's talk sometime soon!" hyejin remained frozen as taeyong walked farther away, until he could no longer be seen in the crowd.

"oh me? i'm yoo hyejin, grade 11," minji spoke in a mocking tone, just to make fun of her friend who was still recovering from the shock. "you should've seen your face, it was priceless!"

"dude! how did he know i was looking for him?" hyejin shook her head in utter shock. "i mean, you were complaining loud and long enough for anyone to hear that you were looking for him," minji giggled, finding the situation rather funny. "plus, i doubt that he didn't know you before this encounter. you are literally known in school for being the biggest taeyong supporter."

"no i'm not!" hyejin unintentionally raised her voice, cheeks heating up once again. memories of herself in grade 9 came flooding back into her mind. the 15 year old hyejin would've been proud of what she did then if she had succeeded, but when she looked back on it now, she felt that it was straight up cringey.

first of july. the day that hyejin had anticipated for. she had spent weeks thinking of what she should get for taeyong's birthday, not sure what he would like. originally, she planned to fill up taeyong's locker with his favourite snacks and a birthday card, but after realising that she wasn't that close with taeyong, or more like taeyong didn't really know her at the time and how she wouldn't be able to open taeyong's locker without a key, hyejin decided to change the plan to filling up taeyong's drawer instead.

wild right? that was how 15 year old hyejin was, being very open about her affection towards anyone. some even said that hyejin was shameless, but she could care less.

"now for the card," hyejin's voice trailed off, as she carefully placed her birthday card for taeyong in his drawer. everything looked perfect, and all now that's left to do was to wait for taeyong to come back to his seat to see this. hyejin excitedly stood in a corner of the classroom where she wouldn't be easily seen.

approximately ten minutes later, taeyong came back to his classroom. there he stood in front of his desk, confusingly looking through his stuffed drawer. hyejin was standing still at where she was, excited to see taeyong's reaction. she didn't specify who she was on the card, and instead left the initials "YHJ" on it.

she wasn't able to hear much of what taeyong was saying to his friends who surrounded his desk, except one line.

"did that person think that it's your birthday today?"

sorry for not updating as much this week since i was a bit busy!! and this is random but i hope that these chapters that aren't about the characters texting will not bore you away because i can't write good passages 💔