Chapter 5

Life is such a bitch.

If I saw life walking down the street, I would seriously punch her. I don't care if I break my fist. It would be worth it.

Of course. Of course, after I have one nice day with my boyfriend after not seeing each other in person for months, life just has to ruin it.

It's three in the morning in Michigan and I'm in the hallway wearing my bright orange Camp Half-Blood pajamas. As I hold the phone to my ear, I'm not one bit tired. It's impossible to be when someone is screaming at you on the other line.

"Can we do this later?" I ask. "It's three AM here and I have orientation today. I don't want to be sad when I'm trying to meet new people."

My mom scoffs on the phone. "Sad? Why would you be sad? You have life easy! I swear you don't think about anyone but yourself!"

I close my eyes as she goes on, pressing my hands to my temples. We rarely talk but when we do, it pretty much always goes like this.

"I can't do this right now," I say.

"If you think you're taking any of my hard-earned money and spending it on your college tuition, you're wrong. Let me get your father. I-"

I hang up. My fingers move before my mind can and the phone turns silent. The loud kind of silent. The kind that devours the room.

I bite down on my lip so hard my eyes wince.

"Fuck," I curse. My eyes close not in fatigue but in pain.

She's going to call again.

I shut my phone off and toss it away from me so I can't pick up. Maybe she'll think it died.

"Fuck." I lean the back of my head against the wall, eyes still closed. My forehead wrinkles as my eyebrows furrow. Finally, I let my head dip into my lap.

God, they make me feel like shit. As I stare into my knees, I can't even produce a tear. All I feel is a hollow pang of something. Anger? Frustration?

Guilt. After all of that, I'm the one who feels guilty.

I know I shouldn't pick up. I know I shouldn't give her my time and just let go. But damn it's so much easier said than done.

You have to get up.

I take a deep breath. Then another. The ringing in my head softens, or at least I tell myself that. Using my palms, I lift myself up and trudge over to my phone to pick it up and enter my room. It weighs heavily in my hands as I toss it to the side and try to fall asleep.

A/N: friendly reminder to vote and comment if u enjoyed!