Chapter 17

Elsie and Snape were still talking together in Hogsmeade for another hour after James and Lily had left, surprisingly enjoying each other's company. She no longer had to worry about her two friends being okay because they had each other. James had Lily, and Lily had James. So, she found herself sitting on a bench with a boy she was starting to uncover the truth about.

"Would you stop laughing at everything I say?" Snape, who sat with his arms crossed against his chest, questioned the girl sitting next to him with a raised eyebrow, "What foolish thing do you find so funny now?"

Elsie was bent over clutching her stomach from laughing so hard at what he had told her. "Your Patronus is a doe," she spluttered through the laughter.

"Obviously," he drawled out, "Did I not just tell you that?"

"Yes, which is why I'm laughing! A dark and monotone boy who only wears black and green has a lighthearted doe patronus!" She exclaimed with a smile on her face.

"Why, yes... I guess it's quite peculiar," Snape cracked a smile while contemplating what she was saying.

"You know," Elsie nudged the boy next to her teasingly, "James' patronus is a stag, maybe you two are meant to be."

Snape's eyes went wide in disgust at what Elsie had just shared with him, "I would rather Avada Kedavra myself." Elsie began laughing, but immediately stopped when she heard a voice call out from behind the two.

"Oi, Snivellus!" James shouted, his hands curled into fists and the 4 Marauders walked towards the bench, "Get away from her!"

Elsie's head snapped towards the incoming boys while shouting back at James, "What are you doing-,"

Elsie was interrupted by Snape standing up from the bench and whipping out his wand, "Don't be foolish, Potter. I wasn't doing anything."

James stormed up to Snape and grabbed him by his collar as Elsie pleaded with the angry boy, "James, stop it!"

James ignored her request and began to pull Snape threateningly closer to him. "Did you touch her? I swear to Merlin if you even laid a finger on her I will punch your slimy face," he seethed through gritted teeth.

Sirius stood behind James with a menacing face and his wand pulled out, as Remus and Peter were apologetically staring at Elsie.

Elsie slithered her way in between the two boys that were angrily glaring at each other, pushing James away with her hand. She looked at Snape, who James was forced to release due to Elsie coming in between them, and sent him a small smile, "You can go, Severus. Thank you for staying with me." Snape nodded his head and sent one last glare towards James before stomping off back towards the castle.

Elsie turned around with disappointment written all over her face as she took turns glaring at each boy in front of her, not daring to say a word.

"Elsie, we're sorry...we should've let you be. We were just scared that he was hurting you," Remus shyly said while scratching his neck, breaking the silent tension. Peter nodded in agreement to what he said. Elsie crossed her arms while refusing to speak to any of them, and stormed off back to the castle, not caring if she was caught for being out after curfew.

Luckily for her, her tall friends with big steps caught up to her and pulled her under the invisibility cloak with them. The group of 5 silently made their way to James' dorm and slipped into the common room, nobody saying a word.

Elsie was faced away from the 4 boys that stood behind her, anger boiling up inside her.

James was the first one to break the newfound silence, "Elsie, I-,"