77

Last chapter for tonight. I'll update again in the morning.

-

"You know, you didn't have to send Ezra to the school." I told Matteo as we stood and waited to be let into the courtroom. He looked up from the papers in his hands an offered me a small smile.

"Why not?"

"He's an asshole." I said, folding my arms over my chest. "He's rude and he keeps having an attitude with me. He tells me he's got nothing against me but I hardly believe him."

My friends were here with me. Dumbledore allowed them to come with because they're the closest to a family I've had since I started Hogwarts. They were currently sitting inside of the court with the mother I'm about to see for the first time, and then Ezra and also my father.

I kept thinking about my mother and what she was feeling. She was seeing her violent ex-husband for the first time in almost eighteen years. Then I had to remind myself that I didn't care about my mother. She was the one who left me and I didn't owe her shit.

Matteo and I had met four times so far. The first being when he came to Hogwarts because of Angelina. The second time was when he came with the news that he wanted custody, the third was a few days ago to prepare for the hearing and the fourth time was now.

"I'm not trying to excuse Ezra's behaviour." Matteo told me. "I know he can be a little rude sometimes but he was two when mum left with us so he doesn't remember you and change is hard for you. This is a big change for all of us."

I scoffed.

"Yeah but you knew I existed." I said. "You knew where I was for all these years."

Matteo nodded slowly and sent me an apologetic look. I was mad at him, mad at all three for knowing where I was but never deciding to reach out. Though I was still staring to care for Matteo. He was being nice towards me and I knew he genuinely cared about me. He had a big heart, that I could tell. Plus, we were alike in many ways, both through our looks but also our personality.

"You can come in now." one of the people working here told us as he held the door open to the courtroom. I looked at Matteo and he gave my shoulder a little squeeze with a reassuring smile. Then he led the way into the courtroom and I pulled my sleeves down to cover my hands as I followed.

My heart was beating rapidly in my chest and my mouth was going dry while there was a certain lump in my throat. The first thing I noticed when we entered the courtroom, was an unfamiliar woman next to Ezra. She was so unfamiliar, yet so familiar.

She kinda looked like me. She looked young, though I knew she was forty-six. She definitely looked younger than her age. She had long black hair that wasn't longer than her waist. It was pushed behind her ears, showing off hoops for earrings. Her eyes were visible dark brown, almost black and her skin was a little tan but it looked like it came from vacation instead of it just being her skin tone. Her lips were full and looked like mine but hers were glossy and shiny from lipgloss. Her eyelids were a light brown from eyeshadow and her lashes were longer due to mascara.

My mum was beautiful.

Next to her sat a man who looked to be around his forties. His hair was blonde but his eyes were almost as dark as my mums. His beard was blonde as well, though a bit darker than his hair. He was dressed formal, they both were.

Mum was wearing a navy blue dress and he was wearing a matching suit. That was the new husband. The same husband that adopted my brothers, the same husband who they call dad. 

The same husband that could've been my father instead of the one I grew up around.

Their daughter were here too. She had black hair like our mother and her eyes were also dark brown. She had freckles like her father and I felt my stomach drop at the thought of my mum getting a new daughter years after she left me behind.