Part 10

Conrad likes being pampered, but that spa experience nearly sent her over the edge.

Athena wouldn't really speak to her after she commented on her manners - which she expected, she knows Alphas don't like to be called out for their behaviour - but that was fine.

She had overheard plenty of drama while she was getting the stress beaten out of her body, and then even more while her hair was being deep conditioned.

The masseuse had commented on her tattoos. Athena had given her a filthy look once she realised how covered Conrad was in them.

Atlas already knew about them, but Athena's eyes started flashing straight away, so Conrad guessed that he was going to be told about them for a second time.

The jacuzzi had been particularly chilly, and she wasn't talking about the water temperature.

She had asked about Alex and how old he was, and Athena had completely ignored her.

Conrad, deciding to give up, had started speaking to another lady, and they had been having a hilarious conversation full of witty banter until Athena snapped at the lady and told her to shut up.

Jane was irritated and ready to shift and slice Athena, but Conrad knew that realistically, Athena would beat her. 

She isn't a trained Alpha, though. She just has the strength, Jane sniffs snobbishly. 

She could still land me in the pack hospital. I don't really want to be stuck in a hospital right now, I just want to get this day over with, Conrad retorts.

She had looked forward to the little girls day, but Athena had been so cold that Conrad had actually retreated into herself.

She's naturally chatty, and she always talks to everyone, but she had felt rude even opening her mouth by the time they got to the hair and manicure stations. 

Conrad acted like Athena wasn't there for the last ten minutes, completely blanking her while she got ready to be collected by Atlas for the Introduction meeting.

'Do I have time to change before the ceremony?' She texts and Atlas replies with a thumbs up.

'Of course. I thought you'd want to, and I wouldn't make you stand in the rain in a dress,' he responds, and she smiles slightly, brushing her hair out of her eyes.

The ladies who did it had cut some choppy layers at the front, and while it reminded her of what she had done to herself when she was ten, she sort of loved them.

Pulling her coat closer to her as they head outside, she slips the receptionist a twenty-dollar bill, mouthing a quick 'thank-you' to her as she's herded outside by the imposing Athena.

Athena slams the gate behind her, leaving Conrad inside the complex.

"Very mature," Conrad mutters, opening the gate and stepping out onto the sidewalk, enjoying the gentle breeze.

Even if it isn't warm, the sun is out, and she's enjoying feeling it on her face.

"If he asks, we had a lovely day," Athena finally says, and Conrad raises a brow.

"Of course. The loveliest girls day of my life," she mutters, taking her phone back out of her pocket.

Charlotte has sent her six texts in three minutes, and she squints against the sun to read her screen.

'Child shat in hallway. I hate my job,' reads the final text, and Conrad chuckles softly to herself.

Her favourite thing about Charlotte being a teacher is the stories she comes away with, and the same with Marcy.