[35] Back to the Basics

It was days like today that you missed Bisky most. It was strange to not have anybody coach you about your nen, and while you wanted Kurapika to help you develop a new ability, he was busy tracing down leads to Chrollo. The rest of your classmates were off studying and doing their own training, so you didn't necessarily want to bother them . . .

Currently, you were sitting on the grass, leaning back with your hands propping yourself up. You had specifically looked for a field where nobody else would come upon you so you could train with your 'quirk' at will, but so far you had only been doing basic strength exercises like push-ups and sit-ups.

"Damn it," you groaned, throwing yourself back on the soft grass. There weren't many clouds in the sky to protect your eyes from the sun, and so you threw your arm over your face. This was so much harder than it needed to be - you just wanted to get stronger! Was that too hard to ask? It wasn't even for yourself. By appearing in this world, you had brought a whole mess with you, and you wanted to be strong enough to protect your friends and kick the invaders back to your own world.

To be strong didn't automatically translate to 'special ability'. That one spider - Uvogin - had apparently only raw strength, no hatsu. Of course, he wasn't a stellar example, but still. You could technically just focus on core and physical strength, but how long would that take? How long did it take Uvogin of the Phantom Troupe to get to where he was before Kurapika had felled him?

Time was ticking. Building up your physical strength to be that level would likely take years upon years of intense training; you only had two weeks left before your practical exam, and you didn't want to just half-ass a hatsu, either.

Rolling over so you were on your stomach, you stretched your arm out to grab the backpack you had brought with you, just barely able to reach in and pull out your notebook without getting up. Recently, you had decided to take a page out of Izuku's book, taking notes on everybody's abilities and all that you knew of nen, as well as a badly drawn diagram. You figured that looking at how everybody utilizes their quirks, and the hatsu abilities that people used in your world, would give you inspiration.

Besides, it never hurt to go over the basics.

Ten, you started first. That was keeping your aura to your body, not allowing it to leak away from you.

Zetsu. That was stopping the flow of your aura to make you harder to detect.

Ren. With ren, you made your aura explode outwards, giving you better durability, protection, and strength.

And the last of the four basic principals, not to mention your current bane of existence.... Hatsu. The personal expression of nen that came differently to each nen user. You remember Bisky telling you that a good nen ability reflects somebody's character. Killua's lightning was only possible due to the torture he received as a child, and Gon's Jajanken reflected his preference towards both simplicity and always wanting to enjoy himself.

What even was your character? Great, now you were on the verge of having an existential crisis.

Huffing and realizing you were getting distracted with your own musings again, you went back to reading, now reminding yourself of the more advanced techniques of nen.

First down, you had In. A much stronger form of zetsu, although instead of hiding your aura flow, it concealed it, making it imperceptible. Your usage of In wasn't the best, but you at least had a solid grasp on it.

Gyo - that was ren, but focusing it on a certain body part, and leaving the rest of your body weakened. It was best used in your eyes to see other auras, and just have sharper vision in general, but you also liked using it in your ears. It wasn't as common, and your hearing was already sharp from growing up in the wild with Gon, but gyo took your enhanced hearing to a whole new level.