[36] Practicals

"Only the practicals and we're finally free..." You grumbled, causing Mina to laugh beside you, elbowing you in the ribs.

"Hey, at least they're robots! It'll be a piece of cake!!"

It better be after those past three grueling days.

Dressed in hero costumes, you grinned as Mina and Toru noticed the upgrades to your outfit first, asking you about it.

Honestly, Mei had gone just a bit crazy with your hero fit, but not in a bad way. She had started your costume from scratch, recreating a black, legless bodysuit that resembled a turtleneck. The fabric was thick - Mei had said tear resistant, but you'd have to see about that. Your white jacket was the same, the symbol of the Hunter Association still emblazoned on the back, but this time your jacket had multiple hidden pockets on the inside. Likewise, you had a black utility built secured around your hips - the pockets and pouches hid various different seeds and spores. Your gloves, still black and with the heart cutouts, weren't fingerless anymore - Mei had insisted that having finger grips on your gloves would benefit you more.

Topping the outfit off were a sturdy pair of black combat boots and metal knee pads to protect your knees. The boots were supposed to be made of a light material that would allow you to run faster but, well . . . You weren't too sure about that one.

No matter how much Mina and Toru asked you about your new costume, though, you kept your lips sealed, not wanting to give away your new tricks.

Eventually, you were all gathered in front of the center plaza where the practical exam was supposed to be, and you noticed with suspicion that all of your other teachers and then some were in front of the building. You did not get a good feeling off this...

When everybody settled down, Aizawa began to speak. "It is possible to fail this exam," he started seriously. "If you want to go to the training camp, don't make any stupid mistakes. I expect you all have gathered information ahead of time and have an idea of what you'll be doing."

Denki pumped his fists up, excited. "We're fighting robot warriors like the entrance exam, right?"

Popping up from Aizawa's bandages was Nezu, and you almost choked on your spit at the comical sight.

"For various reasons," Nezu started, "the exam will be different starting this term!"

"D-different...?"

Nezu continued on. "From now on, we want to focus on person-to-person combat and hero work, and stress teaching that is closer to actual fighting, so in that case... We'll have you form teams of two to fight one teacher!"

To say that your heart dropped would be an understatement. It plummeted. You didn't even know half of the teacher's abilities, this was totally unfair to you!

"In addition," Aizawa added, "the pairs and who each pair will be up against have already been decided. These were determined at my discretion and based on various factors, including fighting style, grades, and interpersonal relationships."

If I'm with somebody stupid I'm going to literally die.

"Here are the pairs: Todoroki and Yaoyorozu, you two will be up against me."

Continuing on, Aizawa and Nezu listed all of the pairs while you waited impatiently for your name to call. Everybody else was paired off, until finally, you were the last one standing, and you stood awkwardly, clearing your throat.

"Um, was a mistake made somewhere...?"

Aizawa's grin widened, and a cold chill shot down your spine as the door behind him opened, somebody else walking forward as Aizawa stepped out of the way to reveal them.