006: hyacinth

jungwon's p.o.v

"You seem to smile a lot more these days.." Jay smirked at me and patted my head, "Did something happen?"

"Wrong question. Not did something happen, but did someone happen..." Heeseung joined in and wiggled his eyebrows, while I just sat in between them with a blank face.

"Who is that someone?" Jay raised an eyebrow, "Is it..?"

"No it's not Samgmi." I interrupted him before he could even mention her name, "I'm over her."

Heeseung tilted his head, "You are?"

I sighed. "Yeah."

"It's hasn't been long-"
"He's over her." Jay interrupted Heeseung sternly, as the other pouted and nodded like a sad puppy.

"Whatever. Can you drop me off at school? I-I'm too lazy to wait for the bus." I lied.

These days, I was trying hard to not cross paths with Sangmi but I had to sacrifice a few things.

I couldn't take the bus to school anymore, because we used to take the bus to school together. I even stopped visiting that one convenience store with the best chocolate milk in the whole city.

But it was worth it.
Everything was worth, if I just get over her as soon as possible.

"Alright I'm almost done. Wait for me at the door."

I nodded.

___________________________

Me and Eunji had to improvise our explanation, because we were too busy goofing around yesterday rather than finishing the art project, but the teacher seemed to enjoy it.

Luckily the two of us were great at wording so improvising was no problem.

"Great job you two." The teacher smiled the first time this year, "Take a seat and leave the flowers on the table. Thank you."

After a boring art lesson, we finally had lunch break.
"Hey, Hey, Hey why were we so good back there?" I smirked and couldn't stop grinning, while Eunji was almost choking on her water bottle as I made her laugh.

"Are you okay?" I moved closer to check up on her, still laughing but she just swiftly took a step back.

"Yeah-" She let out a nervous chuckle, "I'm glad we managed to save our asses."

"Yeah, I mean did you listen to us?" I added and the two of us laughed, "I can't believe we had the same idea."

"Exactly!"
And again the two of us started giggling again.

"Alright, alright let me eat my food before I explode from all the laughing." Eunji breathlessly laughed and took a bite from her food.

"You know." I now calmed down, "It's been a long time since I was this happy with someone else other than Sangmi."
Before I knew it myself, I said her name.

"I'm glad." Was the only thing Eunji said with a smile on her face.

I didn't know what got into me, but I was relieved.
I was relieved that I finally got to mention Sangmi without anyone giving me a pitiful look or patting my shoulder while saying "Everything's going to be alright.", no matter how good their intentions were.

I was just tired of it.

"I heard she was your childhood friend." Eunji continued and put her lunchbox to the side.

"She was." I answered shortly, feeling bitter at all the moments and memories, that started flooding my head.

I prepared myself for Eunji to start bombarding me with questions about mine and Sangmi's friendship, but she just quietly nodded.

"What's your favorite flower now?" She then asked, making me turn to her surprised.

"Right now?"

"Yeah."

I smiled weakly, "I'm pretty sure it's Hyacinth right now, but it will definitely change soon."

I was sure that Eunji knew what I was trying to say with that, but didn't ask any further.
She knew Hyacinth represented sadness and regret.

"Tell me one special thing about yourself." Eunji changed the topic, feeling the pessimistic atmosphere slowly lay out.
Tilting her head, she stretched her arms, that probably fell asleep during the time she was leaning on them.

"Let me think about it.." I looked up, a habit of mine that I always did whenever i thought about something, "I often visit my grandma's garden and take care of her plants." I bluntly said and smiled, "She got weak over the holidays, so I'm just trying to help her out.."

"Do you like it? Taking care of flowers, I mean." Eunji was stoic.
She genuinely wanted to get to know me better and it made me giggle and cover my mouth.

"I enjoy it very much." I mumbled this part, suddenly feeling embarrassed, "I've gotten used to seeing and planting all those flowers, that I ended up enjoying it."

"That's awesome." Eunji said, making me look up.

"What?"

"I think that's awesome. You are a good person, Jungwon." She continued, making me blush in embarrassment.

Why was she saying this?

"That's why you seem to be so interested in flowers, right?" She turned her gaze away from me and giggled, looking over to the flower bed behind us.

I nodded.

The school garden unofficially belonged to us and we spent every lunch break here together.
"It's getting late we should go back before we get detention." Eunji smiled at me and jumped up.

"You know.." I then started, standing up.

"What?"

"You- Nevermind."

That day, I didn't told her how she was the first one to ever call me a good person other than Sangmi.
And how much I needed to hear these words that day.

jungwon's p.o.v end