《 Chapter 30 》

It had been two days since I came to stay with Iyanu and her family. She had invited me to her house, saying she wanted to help me prepare for my prom night which was in a few hours and my mother had agreed I spent a week there.

I had been scared to go stay with them at first, thinking Mrs Adeyemi would hold a grudge against me after grandma's treatment that day at the wedding ceremony but she had been treating me well like I was her daughter and I was very glad.

It was a pity I couldn't spend the entire year with them even when they had been nothing but nice to me. My mum didn't want that and I also didn't want to overstay my welcome. My mum had asked I come to stay with her till I left for college but I still hadn't made a decision.

I couldn't bring myself to, not when I would be living with my stepfather whose presence held some strange aura like he was plotting some evil plan or something. I kept getting the thought that I would be smothered in my sleep each time I went to spend the weekend there. It was sickening.

Though Grandma's house was wide open for me, I wasn't comfortable with grandma either. It was true that she had changed and no longer monitored my movement - she had given me my space the last time I spent a day with her - however, I didn't know how long it would take for her to spark and return to her old self.

So there I was, in a dilemma of where to stay till I left for college. I wished I could just live with Peter, would that be so bad?

As I sat on the bed staring at my reflection in the mirror, I smiled cheekily. Iyanu was quite good and she had successfully transformed me to a beauty. I could feel excitement bubbling in me as I imagined the look on Peter's face when he sees me.

He was my date to the prom and he had insisted to pick us up - Iyanu had asked to come along even when she clearly had no business there. I was grateful she was anyway. Her presence would be such a comfort.

"Iyanu, be fast. Peter will be here soon. I don't want him waiting." I spoke out, checking out my silver earring dangling on both my ears. I stared at the plump glossy lips of mine that Iyanu had tagged kissable. Did she really mean that?

"I'm almost done. Lover girl." She said and I shook my head. Ever since she saw Peter, she had resulted to calling me lover girl for reasons best known to her. I loved it though.

"You aren't. You're still on your brows and I have told you countless times it is perfect. You don't even know anyone so why are you overdressing?"

"Overdressing?" Iyanu yelled dramatically. "Is wearing a dress overdressing? Besides, don't you know you should look good at all times even when you don't know where you're going? You never can tell. You might meet your husband." She smiled smugly, obviously proud of herself.

"Indeed." I huffed. "Just hurry - "

The knock on the door interrupted me and we both stared at Doyin's head which was popped into the room.

"Peter is here!" She announced and I gasped, shooting Iyanu a glare. She smiled sheepishly in return.

"Thank you, Doyin," I said and she nodded before shutting the door.

Peter had come visiting once and I had taken the opportunity to introduce him to everyone. It was not strange to see Iyanu's mother asking about him ever since then. Peter was such a charmer who left a lasting effect on people.

"Peter should know he is dealing with girls. What did he expect?" I heard Iyanu say despite my racing heart. I was suddenly nervous to see Peter. I wasn't sure I looked great anymore.

My sky blue off-shoulder chiffon dress now looked hideous and irritating; I couldn't believe I had chosen to wear it. Besides, it showed too much of my cleavage and made my breast look bigger than usual.