Chapter 35: OH MY GOSH

Epona's POV:

I told the trio I would meet them in the library in a half hour. Snape told me he was giving me an extra quiz to see if I've gotten any better with Draco's help. Cedric and August helped hype me up, and I found myself standing in the doorway, suddenly nervous.

"H-Hi Profe-"

Snape cut me off, "Go sit and take your quiz. No talking, Potter." 

I looked at my paper and mumbled, "No one else is here. Who would I talk to?" He glared at me and I started writing. 

Soon enough I was done, and  I think I bombed it. Can they send me back a grade if I fail this class? It's not my fault potions are just not my thing.

The next day came around, and after class Snape called me to his desk. Nerves flowed through me as I stepped up to his desk. My knees were wobbly and my hands were shaking. The stakes were high for this. I don't want to disappoint anyone...

"Good work, Potter. Seems you do have a brain." He handed me my paper.

My hand went to my mouth. It was a B. I actually did it. I might cry. I ran out of the room, and the first of my friends I ran into was August.

"AUGUST!" I yelled, and he spun around. For a moment he seemed nervous, but when he saw the smile on my face he raised an eyebrow. I waved the paper in the air, "I GOT A B!"

I came barreling towards him, and he picked me up and hugged me, "That's how you roll, Effie! Told you you could do it!" He yelled with excitement.

"I'm so happy! I don't think I've ever been so proud of a B before-" I said, then my eyes landed on Draco.

I gasped, "DRACO LOOK I GOT A B!" And I showed the paper to him from across the hallway, "I TOTALLY OWE YOU!"

He smirked, "Then take me out to dinner." He winked and walked away.

My face got bright red, and I could tell because of the smile on Augusts' face, "Ooo~~" He taunted and I punched his arm.

"Shut up! It's a friend thing!" I crossed my arms.

August snickered, "Uh-huh. And how many 'friend' things have you done with him? And if they're just 'friend' things, why don't you do them with me?"

"I-I...Uh, I..." I was at a loss for words. Then I huffed, "W-Whatever. Let's just celebrate my first ever B on a Potions test."

He laughed, "You're right. Because we have a limited time before your date." He cleared his throat, "Oh wait, I'm sorry. Your dinner ." He teased.

We had a fun time, and Harry Ron and Hermione stopped their studying to hang out with us. I'm surprised I managed to tear them away from their books. But overall, we had a super fun time just hanging out. It was nice. They even helped me set up. I went back to the common room, and Draco was waiting there.

He smirked, and a shiver went down my spine. I cleared my throat, "Victory dinner?"

"Victory dinner." He repeated and followed behind me.

All of a sudden, my knees got weak as I walked. It's like I'm nervous. I've never been nervous around him before. It's this weird feeling. Like my stomach is turning inside and out, but in a kinda good way? It's a very strange feeling to try and describe. 

We were outside, and I had set up a lantern so we could see. Luckily, because it's winter and dark the stars were already out. I sat down on one side of the table, and he sat across from me. He smiled and titled his head slightly.

"So, congratulations on your test." He said.

I felt my heart beating in my chest, "Thank you. I couldn't have done it if you hadn't tutored me."

"Well, it's good I tutored you then." Draco smirked, "I should probably keep going. With tutoring you. It's not everyday that someone suddenly improves."

I smiled, "What can I say, you're a good teacher." 

He leaned closer, "Only for you." 

That same shiver went down my spine. Fuck. 

Look, it's not my fault he's kinda hot. Not saying I like him or anything, but goodness. His blonde hair was slightly messy and his grey eyes were so intoxicating to look at. I quickly broke eye contact and shoveled salad into my mouth. He snickered.

I swallowed, "So, um.... How's your day going?" I asked, trying to make a small conversation.

He had grabbed a lock of my hair that had fallen in my face and was twirling it in between his fingers, "Better now that you're here."

I took a shaky breath. This feeling is very confusing.

"I'm glad I could make it better." I smiled, but I think he could tell that I was nervous.

"Relax, Epona. I'm not going to do anything." He said, and I relaxed a bit, "Unless you want me to." He winked.

I bit my lip, and I wish my hair wasn't mostly tied up because I really want it to cover my face, "I....I have a boyfriend..." 

"not for long..." I thought I heard him mumble.

I looked up confused, "What?"

He raised an eyebrow, "I said I know. Such a shame, though. I really think there's someone else out there who's better for you. Who deserves you."

I forced a smile, "Maybe. But right now, I'm just a kid. I'm not really worried about who I'm with. Besides, Phineas is a good guy-"

Draco cleared his throat, "Hey, lets not talk about him. Today is your big day. You actually passed a potions test." He smiled softly, "I'm proud of you."

My heart fluttered. I don't think anyone's ever said they were proud of me before. I smiled, "Thank you..."

He had moved to sit next to me, and I laid my head on his shoulder. In a strange way, he's comforting. Sure, he's kind of an asshole and a bit arrogant, but he's never been rude to me. I don't think he's ever actually yelled at me before. I'm surprised. Mostly everyone else has. I guess he's just different.

And I guess I kinda like it.

The next morning, I ran into Phineas and I grinned, "Hey, Phineas!" I called out and he turned to me.

"Yeah, babe?" He asked.

"I got a B on my potions quiz!" I smiled brightly.

"You seem really proud of that. I mean, it's okay. A's are better." He shrugged.

I furrowed my brow, "Well, yeah but this is the first passing grade I got in Potions. Usually I get D's or F's."

He yawned, "Yeah well, you shouldn't be happy for being average. Honestly. Come back to 'celebrate' when you have an A. Not when you hit the standard." 

"R-Right..." I cleared my throat, "Well I have to get to class so..."

"Alright. Bye."

I walked away, biting back tears. He seemed so uninterested. Am I being annoying? Did I do something wrong? 

I sighed, and walked into class, my spirits no longer lifted.

I guess I should've done better.