Chapter Six

The months soon turned into a blur as my powers grew stronger, my life better with each moment I spent outside of the compound's restrictive walls. Books flooded my room, stacked from floor to ceiling, each one read thoroughly more than once. Now part of the team, I'd found a new family in the avengers, a place where I finally felt welcome, and safe. Somewhere I didn't have to pretend to be someone I wasn't, where I was accepted for my differences and not frowned upon. 

Music now blasted from the car radio as I gazed upon the crowded streets of New York from within the window, thankful of a change from either the compound or Bleeker St. Sighing, I rest my cheek against my palm, smiling to myself as I watch the small children play on the park, laughter invading their lungs and echoing in the air. Beside me, Tony's grip on the steering wheel tightened as he took a deep breath, clearly preparing himself for something. 

"So..." he sighs, his gaze briefly turning to watch as I continue to smile out the window before they fall back onto the busy road ahead of us. Tapping his fingers on the wheel, Tony shuffles in his seat, accidentally knocking the McDonald's bag that sits between us as I turn around to face him. "how's training going with Strange?" he asks as he glances out the corner of his eye, checking my reaction as I smirk to myself. 

Rolling my eyes, I look away from Tony as my cheeks begin to grow hotter, a blush hinting at them as my smile grows wider. Since I'd met him, Stephen and I had grown... closer. "It's going well." I evade as my eyes remain locked on the road in front of me, the swarm of butterflies in my stomach as Tony narrows his eyes at me.  " Why?" I ask him as I turn away from the road and look him dead in the eyes, narrowing my own as he does the same, each one of us waiting to see who will break first. 

"No reason," he whispers as he turns his body back towards the road, his eyes remaining fixed on me as I cross my arms against my chest. What is up with him lately? "I was just curious." He lies as I nod, rolling my eyes as I turn them back to the road. Rain has now began to pour, blurring the windshield as I squint to see the road ahead. My heart stops as I notice a dark figure in the centre of the road. 

Eyes wide, heart pounding, I scream as Tony turns back to the road, his gaze landing on the man we're heading straight for as he grabs the wheel harder. Quickly hitting the breaks, Tony grimaces as he tries his hardest to avoid hitting the man, his foot heavy on the break as his knuckles begin to turn white against the wheel. A burning smell evades my nostrils as the tyres slide along the floor, the rubber on them burning from the friction. As the car nears the man, he raises the machine he has in his hand, firing it as some kind of disk flies under the car, exploding as the car is sent flying unspide down. 

Time stops. Bile rises in my throat as the car floats over the mans head, his dark eyes calmly meeting mine as I notice the metal arm that hangs at his side, a red star on the shoulder. As gravity kicks in again, the car crashes to the ground, bouncing several times as the exterior of the car gives in, denting as the car begins to fold in on me and Tony. Body jerking forwards, my forehead collides with the window as it shatters, glass shards falling to the ground as the car comes to a sliding halt. Spots cloud my vision as I close my eyes against the throbbing of my head, the air knocked from my lungs as I gasp for breath. Slowly, I reach my hand towards my forehead, pressing my fingers against it as a thick liquid clings to it. As I pull my hand away and open my eyes again, I notice the blood that stains my shirt, a shard of glass sticking in my gut as I grimace in pain. I try to turn my neck, a shooting pain grabbing my skull as I jam my eyes shut again. 

"T-Tony?" I whisper breathlessly before reaching my right hand towards Tony, my finger brushing against his jacket as I force my head to turn towards him. Blood trickles down his forehead as he lies their, unconscious and barely breathing as I pull his jacket sleeve. Out the corner of my eye, I notice a pair of dark black boots near the car, a gun dropping to the floor as it comes they come to a halt outside my door. The boots owner bends down as I notice the calm black eyes from the man before as he stares into my soul. Using his metal arm, he reaches towards the car door, pulling it from its hinges before tossing it to the side like a doll. "Tony." I whisper again, my voice trembling from the speed of my breaths as the man reached inside the car, his metal arm curving around my necks as he lifts me from the wreck and into the air, the cool metal of his fingers cutting the skin on my neck.

A groan comes from the wreckage beneath me as Tony begins to wake, his eyes sliding open just enough to see my feet dangling in the air from outside the car. My fingers glaw at his fist, cuts and scrapes bleeding on my neck as the man tightens his grip, my air supply cut off as my body begins to jerk, my lips turning blue as my body began to go into shock. 

"Abi." shouts Tony as his instincts finally kick in, his hands flying to his seatbelt as he pulls on it, attempting to pull it free as the man begins to drag me across the road and towards a small van that's parked down an alleyway, his grip slackening enough that the oxygen finally flows back into my lungs. Gasping for breath, I watch as Tony shouts my name, his screams echoing in my ears as I'm thrown into a van, my head hitting the cool metal as I grimace in pain.

"You didn't think you could escape us that easily did you doll?" chuckles the man as he smirks, grabbing a fresh gun as he sends another explosive straight for the car. My vision begins to blur as the world around me spins out of view, the last thing I see the glowing flames of the wreckage of the car Tony was sat in before my eyes flicker closed, the scream barely tearing from my throat before my body collapses against the floor of the van unconscious. 

So I guess it's true, Hydra really doesn't give up easily, do they?