10. Thread

-Jack-

-Jack-

I was in the middle of organizing my drawers when it happened. I felt his distress. Arch's. For a second, I hesitated, but only for a second. I grabbed my jacket before dashing out my home, trying to figure out what exactly I was feeling.

Whatever it was, it was strong. I'd never felt anything like that, and I wondered if it was actually his panic I was feeling. I honestly wasn't even sure how I knew it, but I just... I just did. It was nothing I was feeling, that was for sure, and I just couldn't see how it could be someone else. He was the only one that mattered to me.

I didn't know where to go. I didn't even know where he was, but I knew he had to be close. I stopped outside my yard, closed my eyes, and tried to figure out which way to go. Which way was he pulling me...?

He was somewhere in front of me, so I started running. I didn't even stop to think that it was a bad idea. Of course I didn't! Screw my own fears! He was in great distress, and for a moment, I feared he was being attacked. Hurt, or even dying...

Though the forest was too quiet... At first, anyway. I started hearing loud voices as I ran past the town, heading to where my spirit was taking me, but the calmness still made no sense. Arch was close by, I could almost smell his scent, but I couldn't hear the sounds of battle, not even a fight, just... Just worried shouts.

The second I saw him, I slowed down. He was being taken inside one of the houses. I couldn't smell any blood, or see any enemies, so my confusion got worse. What was going on? I had to stop since there started being too many people heading towards the house. I hid behind the trees, my heart racing.

He was all right, right? He... was...? He was calming down now. Not much, but a little. Still, I didn't leave. I had to know what was going on.

Soon, Rayleigh and his mate arrived at the house, and so did the old Spirit Walker. There were a lot of people standing around, everyone looking like they were ready for war.

A thought occurred... Arch was the diviner of this pack. The people around me definitely feared he had seen something – I could hear them whispering about it. I learned a lot about him and his ability while eavesdropping in on the conversations around me.

I turned to look at the house again. He was calm now, and a little while later I found out why.

"He's resting now – you can return to your normal duties," Luna Thisalee came to inform us. Almost everyone left apart from some guards who stayed still, looking alert.

I didn't want to leave him, so I turned into a wolf and lay down on the snow, staying hidden under the trees. It was a long wait, but I refused to leave until I was sure he was all right. I was ready to wait for him for hours and hours, but it only took one before I heard loud voices coming from the house again.