Chapter Seven

When I finally wake again, the cold concrete floor burns my warm back, my head throbbing as I close my eyes against the pain, shutting out the world around me. My muscles ache as I try to move my leg, pain shooting up into my hip as I glance down to see it's strapped up, a small bandage covered in blood wrapped tightly around my thigh. As my eyes trace the rest of my body, I notice the large bandage that clings to my waist, red seeping through it and onto the surface as I press my hand against it, applying pressure to it in an attempt to stop the bleeding. Who in their right mind removed the glass? Doesn't anyone know that only causes the bleeding to worsen? 

"The boss will be pleased to see you awake." 

Quicker than a cat jumping out of water, my head whips around as I scan the hall outside my cell, my eyes studying every shadow until they fall on the man from earlier. His large frame leans against the cold bars of the cell I sit in, a towel in his hand as he wipes a splash of blood from his face, the red staining the white towel as he chucks it to the side. Looking down, I notice the blood that trails down his shirt as he follows my gaze towards his clothes.

"You owe me a new shirt since you got blood all over mine," he demands as he looks back up at me, his eyes once again cold as he glares at me. A small black mask sits over his mouth, black eyeshadow surrounding his eyes as I stare back into them. 

"Soldier!" shouts a voice from within the shadows as the man's head snaps up, his body standing up straighter as he turns to the direction the voice came from. Even without seeing the figure, I recognized the voice. The inhuman tone could only belong to one man. Johann Schmidt. Or as others call him, the Red Skull. My blood begins to heat up as I clench my hand into a fist by my side. "You are no longer needed, return to the main base." demands the voice as the man outside my cell nods, grabbing the towel from the floor before marching out the door on the far side of the room, his figure fading in the distance as Johann emerges from the shadows. 

"Johann." I hiss through my teeth, locking them together as I pull myself up off the floor, my leg giving up beneath me as I collapse against the wall, using it as a support as I stand up straighter. Johann chuckles as he steps closer to my cell, his eyes fixed on my bandaged leg as he taps his finger against his nose before wagging it at me.

"We have had a hard time tracking you down," he admits as he comes to a halt in front of my cell, his arms crossed against his chest as he smirks to himself with a devilish expression. Noticing a small bed on the far side of my cell, I hobble across to it, holding tightly onto the wall so as to avoid falling in front of Johann. "You're the only person to have escaped Hydra's reach. Or should I say you were." he chuckles as I collapse into the chair, my body giving in to the exhaustion as I lean my head against the wall, my eyes still locked on Johann as I grimace in pain, my palm pressed against my stomach. Looking down, I peel my hand from against my abdomen to reveal the blood-red stain on it, my eyes slamming shut as I take a deep breath. "You never should have come out of hiding, it was a very foolish move."

"What do you want with me?" I grunt, my voice shaking as I open my eyes again. Sighing, Johann shakes his head in disbelief as his devilish smirk drops, a storm brewing within him as it washes over his face. I swallow hard as my heart knocks loudly against my chest, so loud that I'm convinced Johann can hear it from where he's stood. 

"Oh, isn't it obvious?" he asks as he reaches into his pocket, pulling out a key as he lifts it boastfully into the air. Before I realize it, my legs have hobbled me across the cell and to the bars as I reach through them for the key/ Taken aback, Johann's grip on it slackens as I pull it from his hands, hugging it to my body before jamming it into the lock. "We haven't finished what we started Abigail," he laughs as the key falls back out the lock and onto the cold floor, a clatter arising as I stare down at it. He gave me the wrong key. He tricked me. And I let him. "And this time, you won't be able to resist joining us." 

A doctor emerges from the shadows, a white coat hanging around his body as he holds a needle containing a serum in his left hand. As his sinister smile grows wider, Johann unlocks my cell as the doctor steps through, Johann slamming the door again as the key clicks in the lock. Scrambling backward, I attempt to put as much distance between me and the doctor as I can, my heart hammering in my chest as memories of my time in Hydra come flooding into y mind. Suddenly my back hits a wall as I find myself with nowhere else to go, nowhere to escape. The doctor grabs my arm as I scream, my voice echoing throughout the room as I try to pull away and fight him. Before I can though, he pushes the needle in my arm forcefully, the sharp metal stinging as I let out a gut-wrenching scream. 

As the serum enters my body, every muscle begins to ache, every cell in my body on fire with the pain of Johann's chemicals. As the fire grows stronger, my body collapses beneath me as I fall to the floor, my palms cutting against the rough concrete. My cell door clicks open again as more people flood inside, each one wearing a Hydra jacket as they drag me from the floor and onto a small bed that lies in the corner of the room. Nails dig into my flesh as straps are tied tightly around my wrists and ankles, my vision blurring as the serum begins to take over. Throat burning from my screams, I begin to sob as I shout Tony's name, fully knowing he can't hear me but longing for the hope of rescue. Just before my body gives in to the darkness that evades my vision, I tug on the straps, every instinct in my body telling me to keep fighting, to escape the bonds on my wrist and run free once again.