NINE

CHAPTER NINE!
- a prank

'and the stars
look very different
today'

It was late in the afternoon when James Potter found himself, and his fellow Marauders, lounging about in their dorm room.

Remus was playing Wizard's Chess with Peter, the two of them were the only ones who actually had the patience to last the whole game and not just find it fun to smash all the pieces.

Sirius was lying in his bed upside down, listening to Rebel Rebel by David Bowie on his record player. It was gifted to him by his cousin Andromeda Black and he used to very much enjoy blasting it very loudly when he lived at 12 Grimmauld Place Walburga really did hate anything muggle, especially David Bowie.

James was lying on his front in his bed, reading Quidditch Through the Ages (for about the hundredth time). It's not like he had nothing else to read, they had quite the collection of books in their dorm courtesy of Remus, he just wasn't the biggest fan of cliff hangers or sad endings.

There wasn't much conversation, apart from Remus and Peter occasional chatter, and James could tell that Sirius was getting very bored. Having known the boy for seven years, James was proud to say that he knew a lot about Sirius especially the way he acted when he was bored. Firstly, he kept sighing very over dramatically a sign that he was trying to get someone's attention. Secondly, he was swinging his legs up and down against the bed which made very loud noises something that Peter claimed was distracting him and led to his knight being smashed. Finally, about every three seconds Sirius would change the song most likely to annoy someone in to talking to him.

"Everything alright Padfoot, this is about the fourth time we have had to listen to Penny Lane." James asked his best friend. Remus was usually the first one who gave in to Sirius's boredom, however, he was too preoccupied with beating Peter at Chess.

"Finally, i've been waiting for someone to ask me for the past ten minutes." The long haired boy exclaimed dramatically, he looked up at James with a wide smile, finally glad he would have something to do.

"I've been trying to ignore you for the past ten minutes." James said, smiling when Sirius lifted his hands to his heart and pretended to be offended.

"You've broken my heart Prongsie, oh how will I ever be able to go on."

"Don't worry snuffles, you'll get over it." James told an even more offended Sirius, who even went as far as to throw a pillow towards the bespectacled boy.

"I thought we agreed that we wouldn't use that nickname anymore." Sirius said, frowning at his friend.

"No, you agreed to that." Remus said matter of factly, still keeping his attention on the game of Chess.

Sirius pouted at Remus, but after realising that he wouldn't get a reaction from him, he just turned back to James with a big smile. "I'm bored, you're bored, let's do a prank!"

"I don't know Padfoot, i'm not really up for a prank at the moment." James told his best friend. It's not like he wanted to disappoint Sirius, however, he didn't have much motivation for anything right now not even for a prank.