five

One month later - Late November

Evie's View:

A month had passed and Valentina and I hadn't made any significant progress in talking about what happened.

She never said a single word directly to me when picking up the girls and never answered me through email even when it was about their school work.

I talked it out with Addie and she says I might've just really hit a soft spot. It definitely was a personal matter and I hadn't meant to find out about it.

As we waited for their mother I contemplated my next move. I really wanted to clear things up and tell her that I hadn't force her daughters to talk about it.

Valentina walked in right on time in casual wear shockingly.

"Let's go..." she said in a quiet voice avoiding my eyes.

I stood from the chair and stepped closer to her. "Miss Clair.. May I speak to you for a moment? Please"

"No. We have to get going.. Come girls" she started to walk away but I grabbed her wrist in hopes she'd stop.

"Please it's important" I begged.

She sighed and looked behind me noticing the staff in the office watching. "Fine. Outside, you have two minutes"

I nodded and we walked out the doors to her car where she got the girls settled in.

"Speak" she demanded leaning her back against the car door. Her dark hair blowing slightly from the wind.

"Look.. we need to talk about what happened that night I was watching them. Please, I just want to explain how the topic came up and we can stop talking after that. Go back to how things were"

Valentina stared back at me not saying anything.

"Are you busy right now? I was gonna go for coffee and grade some papers so we can talk there if that's okay with you" I said hoping she'd accept.

"I am busy. Taking my girls home. You think after spending all day in meetings and stressed out that I wanna go and have coffee with you? All so we can talk about why you made my daughters cry? Yeah no thanks" she replied back shaking her head.

"Please Valentina... I can't keep living like this. With the guilt. I feel guilty for even talking about it now because I know it's personal" my eyes watered but I stood up straighter hoping she wouldn't notice.

Her blue eyes stared back at me, softening a little. "Fine.." she gave in after a minute.

"I'll meet you at Coffee Waves in five. I'm going to drop the girls off with the maid"

I nodded watching her leave before rushing to my car with my things.

. . .

I sat in the back of the shop stirring the contents in my cup.

My leg bobbed up an down out of nervousness. Valentina was unpredictable and for all I know she could show up ready to yell at me or not show up at all.

The bell from the door rang announcing that someone had walked in.

I heard footsteps approaching in my direction and I looked up seeing her.

I offered a small smile and looked back down to my coffee, stirring it for the hundredth time.

"Speak" she demanded again taking a seat across from me.

"Okay.." I shifted in the creaking wooden chair. "Um.. well, it was like I said that night. Nani has asked a question about heaven. Specifically if people in heaven could come back to visit. I told her sometimes they do but we just can't see them..."