Chapter 39

Rhea POV

It takes our bus forty-two hours to get to Hollywood; we're already halfway there with no interference yet.

Annabeth has barely spoken with me, not that I mind.

I can't remember everything that was supposed to happen, but I remember something about Medusa and a Mrs Dodds. And going to the Lotus Hotel. Our bus was supposed to blow up, wasn't it? I think with a frown.

Why was Percy going to Las Vegas? The Lotus Hotel is on the way. Why did they meet Medusa? Ares gave some sort of mini-quest for something, to fetch his...what was it again? A weapon? No, it was his shield. Why would he ask us to fetch his shield? Something about a trap. It was also to stall us from taking the bolt to Olympus.

I checked the shield that Luke gave me and lo' and behold, there it was. I can't believe Luke actually gave me the weapon.

Hades POV

I've been closely monitoring Rhea's quest and so far, so good. But she isn't going to the Lotus hotel. The Fates said that once she goes to the Lotus Hotel on her first quest, then I can remove my children from the Hotel. But she isn't going there. Unless...

"Persephone!" I call out, "I need your help!"

"With what?!" she calls out.

"Woman. Why can't she come here when I call her?" I mutter.

She walks in, raising her eyebrows, "Yes? What is it that you need that you call me like one of your Hellhounds?"

"Sorry, dear...Do you remember when the Fates spoke to me? What they said about Bianca and Nico?"

"Yes, what about it?" she asks.

"Rhea is on her quest and she is less than a day away from them. There is no sign that they will stop there. What do you suggest?" I ask her.

"I might have an idea," she said.

Ares POV

Damn that barnacle-bearded fish breathed jellyfish. My shield is stuck at Waterland and I can't even get close to his daughter or those other two brats without Poseidon ripping me to shreds.

I'll have to think of another way to get my shield back and to stall those brats.

Poseidon POV

If I were stress eating and could get fat, then I would be as large as a whale.

My little Rhea is on her first quest and I've warned all the other gods that if they interfere with her quest, I'll kill them.

"Poseidon, stop glaring at me!" Zeus hissed out.

"This is your fault. If she comes to harm because of you-" I said.

"-Yes, then you will tear me apart and send my remains to Tartarus," he said.

Good. He is afraid.

Rhea POV

We're at the bus stop in Utah; we have thirty minutes to stretch our legs before we depart to Las Vegas and then to Hollywood.

"Don't you find it strange?" Annabeth asks.

"Find what strange?" I reply, frowning.

"That we haven't encountered a single monster this entire trip. We are two demi-gods and a Satyr. Monsters should be on our tails," she said.

"Maybe there aren't any monsters in Utah," I tell her.

"Uh, Rhea. There's a lot of monsters in Utah...It's rare that you will find any demi-god children from here due to the high death rate," Grover says, looking around nervously.

"Oh, so that's why you were so rude to the bus driver, telling him to hurry 'his ass up.'"

"I did say please," he replied, "And yes, that is exactly why I told him to hurry up. We have no idea what types of monsters linger here."

"Grover is right Rhea, we need to be on our guard," Annabeth added in.

We were on our guard, but nothing happened. Annabeth actually looked disappointed when everyone came back to the bus and we left. Do all demi-gods want to fight monsters and get possibly killed in the process? If I come across a monster and die, then dad is so gonna kill me and make me train for a decade before he even lets me out of his sight.

"Annabeth, why do hate me so much?" I ask.

"I don't hate you, Rhea. I don't like you, or I shouldn't like you. Your dad and my mom are enemies so to speak. They don't like each other and I guess, because of that, we shouldn't like each other."

"But that's stupid. Our parents shouldn't dictate our possible friendship," I replied.

"It's not just that Rhea. You stroll into camp like you own the place. You're so at ease with who you are and who your father is. You fought and defeated Pasiphae's son. You're smarter than me, I mean, you've gone to University and have a degree. We're the same age! Gods, you take to ancient Greek, like it's nothing. You know your myths and maths, and fight like you've been at camp for years, you can even do archery. It's not normal, especially for a child of Poseidon," she rants.

"I'm sorry, Annabeth," I reply softly.

"Why are you sorry?" she asks confused.

"I can see it in your eyes, you're scared," I tell her, "You're scared that your mom won't love you."

"You don't know what you're talking about!" she clenches her teeth.

"I do know. You see, when I was younger and started my training...I was so scared to disappoint my dad that I trained and trained and went over my limits. I was exhausted, so much so that my mother wanted to take me to the hospital as well as castrate my dad," I said with a small laugh. "My mother told me to take a break, and I refused. I said that I had to train, and she asked me 'why?' And I replied, 'so that I can fight monsters and make dad proud of me.'

"But your father is already proud of you," My mother told me.

"No dad said that I have to train to be the best fighter and I can't be the best if I don't train. He'll be so proud of me, mom."

"What happened then?" Annabeth asked.

"My mother apparently gave an earful to Poseidon and I got a message from my father that he was proud of me and that he loves me no matter what I do and achieve. He didn't care if I was the worst fighter there ever was (if I was about to lose to a monster, then I should run away as fast as I could), he didn't care that if I was the worst swimmer in the world, or if I pursued a career in art or acting one day. Just as long as I was happy (except if I was doing drugs) and knew that I was loved by both my parents."

"Wow, your dad really said that?" she asks sadly. Her mother doesn't talk to her much, such a shame. No wonder she is so insecure.

"Amongst other things, and I know that no matter what I do, he will always, always love me. He will always be on my side Annabeth. And I will always be on his. I will fight for him if he asked me to, I know he won't ask but I will do it. We're a family, and I'll do anything for my family. And that is how I know that your mother loves you no matter what you do or what you learn or how good your fighting is," I finished.

She looks a bit teary-eyed. "Thanks, Rhea...this doesn't mean I like you, fish-breath."