46.

The morning after Halloween, I wake up in time for my classes at nine in the morning

The morning after Halloween, I wake up in time for my classes at nine in the morning. Turning off my alarm I take a deep breath, trying not to wake Jace in the process. 

So, yesterday really happened. I'm anxious to find out what makes Derek so powerful over Jace and why it's such a sensitive topic for him. I know I'll have to let it go for now. Jace told me yesterday that he'll tell me one day, and I'm deciding to rely on that. 

Patience, Mila. That's something you have to learn.

Before I can get up to get ready, I feel a hand creep up on my waist. My back is turned to Jace as he's pulling me towards him. 

"Good morning" he mumbles against the back of my neck.

"Morning" I say back, not sure how to react towards him.

My body feels tense, I don't dare to move. Jace sighs softly. 

"Turn around" he demands. 

I quickly do so and turn to my right side, using my left hand as a pillow on my cheek to create a little space between us. Jace's hand finds my other cheek, stroking it with his thumb. I'm happy to see that his eyes have returned to normal. 

"What are you thinking?" he asks me gently.

Giving myself a few seconds to ponder, I respond "I don't know. A lot."

"Talk to me, please" he says in his groggy morning voice, with a pained look on his face.

"I'd like to know what happened, but you already knew that."

"I'm so sorry Mila, I truly am. I wanted yesterday to be a reminder that you can trust me, show you that I can go out without anything happening. I just made everything messier" he admits, not stoping his movement on my cheek.

"You said it wasn't your fault, and I told you that means that I'm not mad at you. The whole trust thing would just be easier without all of the secrets" I say, honesty pouring out of me.

"I know" Jace says with a serious expression. "I'm not trying to make this harder, please just know that everything I'm doing, I'm doing to protect you, okay?"

My heart melts at his words. How can you be mad when someone says that kind of thing to you? I don't answer, I nod my head instead. 

"Can I ask you one question?" I say, the seriousness visible on my face too.

"Yeah" Jace says, stopping to stroke my cheek. He starts playing with the fingers on my hand instead.

"Did you... enjoy it?" I ask him, without looking into his eyes.

Another heavy sigh leaves Jace's mouth. 

"I'd be lying to you if I said I didn't, but I stopped using for a reason. I'm not going to start again, I promise" he says and I feel instant relief.