Chapter Ten

At first, nothing happens. I feel no pain. Hear no screams. Just stand there frozen in place whilst Stephen lays on the floor, looking up at me. Then my ears begin to ring, the sound of the gunshot echoing through my mind. And yet, I still don't feel the bullet collide with my skin. Maybe he missed. Maybe, just maybe, I may make it out of here alive.

"Abi?" whispers Stephen, his voice desperate and hushed as he pulls himself up off the floor. Taking a deep breath, he step toward me, his eyes fixed on my abdomen. I follow his gaze, my own eyes landing on the dark red mark on my T-shirt, blood seeping through as vomit rises in my throat. My chin trembles. My hand flies to my mouth.

"It's fine, it's not as bad as it looks," I lie, biting the inside of my lip in an attempt to keep in the scream that tugs at my throat. A shooting pain flies through my stomach, the combination of the blood is already lost and the bleeding of the bullet wound weakening my body rapidly, pain spreading through my body like a wildfire.

"What's going on?" Turning on my heels, I'm greeted by the familiar features of Tony. Messy hair frames his unshaven face, bags hanging under his eyes which lack their usual liveliness as they stare into mine. This isn't the Tony I know. No. This is the Tony who hasn't slept for days, weeks, months even. A Tony overwhelmed with guilt. The exact same Tony I was greeted by last time he saved me from Hydra.

My emotions take over and before I know it, I'm running towards Tony, my arms wrapping tightly around his shoulder as I pull against my body. For a moment, the pain I've get for the past few weeks fades away, my body melting into Tony's comforting arms and collapsing against him. But then his arms tighten, huis suit catching on my wound as I haps in pain, my body curling inwards. Sensing this, Tony steps backwards and his eyes instantly land on the wound, the blood that stains my shirt.

"Have you been shot?" he whispers, gently reaching for my shirt with his shaking hands and holding it between his fingers. When he lets go again, his fingers are stained red.

"Some guy tried to shoot Stephen but I pushed him out the way," his head shoots up, the relief that had washed over his face moments before now replaced with rage as he narrows his eyes at Stephen. "It's okay though. I'm fine so you can calm down." I assure him, gently placing my hand on his shoulder and squeezing it reassuringly. Briefly, he glances down at me, his jaw locking tightly and his hands forming fists.

"I thought I made myself very clear earlier when I said stay away from Abi." Tony screams, pushing past me and marching straight for Stephen who, slightly taken aback, stumbles backwards. I step forwards, attempting to stop Tony but just as I do, a burst of agony flurries through my stomach, my hand flying to the wound as I begin to apply pressure, hoping to stop the bleeding. "Now look what you've done!" Tony points towards me, his voice echoing through the room as he steps even closer to Stephen, their faces practically touching. If anyone walked in right now, they'd think they were about to kiss.

"You think this doesn't bother me?" asks Stephen, his voice firm and serious. Slowly, he takes a deep breath and locks his jaw, Tony's fury rubbing off on him. "That it doesn't break my heart to see her like this?" he hisses through his teeth before curling his hands into a fist. My eyelids begin to flutter, black spots fading in and out of my vision which grows weaker with every passing second. Another wave of pain drowns my body as I stumble backwards into a wall. "She's the most important person in my life and she's hurt all because of me."

My vision begins to blur, my head spinning along with the world around me. Swaying slightly, I step closer to Tony and Stephen, my grip on consciousness slipping more with each step. Every muscle in my body is on fire, agony the only thing I can feel.

"Guys, I..." my voice is barely audible as my breath begins to leave my body which trembles more and more beneath me with each step. Reaching forwards, my fingers brush against someone's jacket, their muscles tending as my head begins to spin even faster. "I don't feel too good..." I don't even finish my sentence before I feel my body give in to the pain. Everything becomes fuzzy; then nothing. My heartbeats pound loudly, echoing in my ears, alongside fading pleas for me to wake up. Two sets in hand curve around my body as it's lifted into the air and dragged forwards. Suddenly, feeling in my body drains away until finally, all is black.