When Can I be a Kid?

TW: Mentions of physical abuse, Mentions of death, Spacing out?, Slight panic attack
SPOILERS FOR JAN. 6TH, 2021 STREAM!

---------------------------------

"Techie!" the little boy ran to his older brother, arms outstretched to the piglin hybrid.

"Hey, kid," Techno ruffled his younger brother's hair. The boy had jumped into Techno's arms, looking up at him, a wide grin plastered onto his face.

"Techie, can I come with you to your next training session?"

Techno snorted and shook his head, his small pig ears twitching, "No, not until you're older."

"Why not?" the boy whined, frowning and crossing his arms.

"Tch, 'cause you're not worthy," Techno joked, smiling at the boy before putting down the book he had been reading.

"Of course I am! I'm Tommy, super big man!" the child protested, trying to flex his arms.

"Whatever you say, kid," Techno ruffled the boy's hair once more before leaning back and allowing Tommy to pick a movie of his choice.

Those times were much different than now.

Back then, you could run out without armor and not feel threatened.
Back then, you could have good times with your friends and family without the constant feeling of someone watching you, plotting against you, or planning to kill you.
Back then, you could feel the familiar, warm feeling of safety hug you like a blanket instead of constantly feeling like everybody hates you.

"Tommy, you okay? You've been quiet all day. Not a single screech," Techno joked, although there was no reaction from Tommy. The boy stared at the same spot in the floor, eyes clouded with an unidentifiable emotion.

"Tommy?"

"What?" the boy replied, his tone harsh.

"Relax, man. Are you okay?" Techno raised an eyebrow. Tommy could rarely be serious, and Techno had seen that side of him only three times.

Once when their mother died.
Once when the family got into a terrible argument that ended physically.
Once when Wilbur was stabbed by their father.

Through everything else, Tommy stayed strong.

"I'm fine," Tommy spat, standing quickly. That same emotion lingered in his tired blue eyes, "Are we going to the festival?"

Techno nodded, but still had an eyebrow raised. Despite being nicknamed the blood god, he felt almost intimidated by the way Tommy was acting. He radiated rage and fear.

"I told Phil we'd say goodbye," the man mumbled, his ears flicking again as the door swung open, "Speak of the devil."

The man ran in and engulfed his older son into a hug immediately. Tommy slipped on a coat that similarly resembled the Arctic Empire with its color scheme, standing by the door. The aggressive wind blew into the boy's hair, snowflakes landing onto him.

"Come on, Tech," Tommy growled, "Let's go. We don't have any time to waste."

"You're not going to give your old man a hug?" Phil smiled warmly.

Normally, Tommy would've rushed right into the man and gratefully accepted the hug, but this time he shook his head.

"No. I'll see you later," the response nearly shattered Phil's heart and enraged Techno's, yet both composed themselves as Tommy looked back out into the snow, "Come on."