~THREE~

*•°*•°*•°*
"Individually, we are one drop. Together, we are an ocean..."
                          *•°*•°*•°*

       *Unedited*

                        ¶ORE¶

Monday came and I unwillingly found myself travelling with my whole family to Abuja that morning. I stared out the window examining the environment and remembering the three and a half words my dad told me last night.

“You’re getting married.”

At first, I actually thought it was a joke. You know, maybe baba wanted to play small but na lie. He wasn’t joking one bit! He was dead serious. His facial expression showed it. I looked at my mom and she looked away, avoiding my gaze.

I didn’t even bother looking in the direction of any of my sisters, because it was useless. They would sly me that very minute.

I got the boldness to challenge him and say no but that was big mistake ‘cause the next thing I knew, his hand, which was incredibly big, connected fiercely with my face.

My incredibly handsome face!

He slapped it hard without even thinking. I held it and looked at him, tears actually threatened to drop but I forced them in. I couldn’t cry and lose my façade in front of them all just like that. I swallowed and left the dining locking myself up in my room.

“Hey, Ore. What are you thinking about?” Aisha’s voice tore me away from my thoughts.

I looked at her, straight-laced, portraying no emotions. “Nothing that should concern you mama,” I said calmly and brought out my phone, not even bothering to look at her facial expression. 

“You know, you can be very proud,” She said.

“Wow, really? Let’s tell this to TVC News,” I deadpanned without looking up from my phone.

“So rude.”

“Thanks so much, mama, I appreciate the compliment.” I rolled my eyes.

“You’re impossible,” she said shaking her head. I saw that from the corner of my eye. And with that, she shut up.

                       │~│~│~│

Arriving Abuja around 10:00pm was something I didn’t like one bit. I mean, my parents were rich, I don’t get why we did not just fly, you know, like use the air for transport. Actually, I do. Mom wanted to enjoy the beauty of nature today of all days.

Currently, we were at the hotel dad had booked and I was dreading coming down because well…I did NOT wanna get married!

“Ore, get down from the car now!” Aisha said, looking at me with a don’t-mess-with-me face. I didn’t care. I sat still and pretended not to hear her overly loud voice.

I don’t actually know what happened to Aisha’s and my relationship as siblings. One day we were very close siblings who’d do anything for each other and the next day…she just became mean, like the others. The reason I talk to her the way I do is because, apart from the fact that she’s mean, she’s just a year older than me.

“Ore, I said you should get down.”

“Aunty, abeg, shut up! I’m not five years old that you can be controlling me anyhow,” I told her calmly. “And if you want to ask me to come down, say it politely, mama.”

Her face hardened and her teeth clenched as she was clearly trying to hold back the anger coursing through her veins. But the next minute it was gone (which shocked me) and an evil smile crept up her lips. “I’m telling dad.” She stated firmly as if it'd make me scared.