Chapter 7

After storming off, I soon realized that I had no clue where I was going so I went back and followed Cage. He didn't say anything but bristled with both amusement and annoyance when I came back. We were walking down flight after flight of stairs. I had no idea how granted I took the ability to walk properly until now, where each step caused a flower of pain to blossom up in my left foot.

Cage was walking a few feet ahead of me. I stared hard at his back, wondering if he could feel the force of my eyes. Turns out he couldn't and I probably looked like an idiot. Unfortunately, I was under the conclusion that no one could see me until I noticed the security cameras on the ceiling.

"I have to pee." I said, unnecessarily loud.

Cage didn't even bother turning around. "Wait."

"I can't." I made myself sound very squeamish. I really did have to pee but I was planning on pulling the classic 'climb out the window when no one's looking' thing. With my ankle, I couldn't get far. But I could at least get away. "I had to ever since last night."

''November, you're going to have to wait." Cage repeated coldly again.

"I'm hungry."

"I don't care."

"My ankle hurts. I think it's broken." I tried again.

"Good."

"You wanna go get some Taco Bell?"

"No."

"You wanna-"

"One more word, November." Cage growled. "Say one more word. I dare you."

Thankfully, I held my tongue from all the other insults waiting to float out and get me into a world of hurt. As we went into the deeper floors, the temperature dropped, but the surroundings got nicer. More and more expensive equipment came into view, like security cameras and sensory padlocks. There was even a little baby tree in a potted plant in the corner.

Time to mull over some previous knowledge I knew about the Crows: Cage Vickers was a billionaire. That was one of the few things we had heard about him from the news. The cocaine smuggle across the Mexican border was one of the few things that earned him the big bucks. Years and years of selling drugs and unregistered weapons that even armies didn't have to rich criminals internationally only added up to the Crows' horrific resume of crimes and wealth. Not to mention the numerous casinos, hotels, brothels, even an airline registered under a pseudonym, but whose capital was fed directly to his bank account. The Crows also had reportedly dappled in assassinations- the more important the politician, the bigger the pay.

He had the looks, the youth, and the power to bring any criminal empire in the world down to its knees.

That's why the CIA was so desperate to find Cage, or at least a Crow that could give them information. But we had also heard that being recruited into their world was almost impossible. News coverage on such failed undercover FBI missions was thorough in detail to the public, always ending in the death of the agent. With such a past, a single mistake could bring them crashing down. If there was one thing I had learned throughout all of this, it was that the Crows were ruthless and controlling. It was either their way or death.

And absolutely no witnesses. No one had ever lived to tell a tale about the Crows. Several years ago, a man had come forth bearing physical documentations and evidence of one of the crimes committed by the Crows- proof that they imported over five million dollars worth of methamphetamine into California, whose bust was inevitable but deadly. In the shootout, 11 police officers were killed and the cargo managed to remain in the possession of the Crows. Two days before the case was due to the Supreme Court, the man was executed while leaving his home with a single shot to the head. His testimony was reported to have been the final nail in the coffin for the  case, but with the witness dead and the documents reported missing, there was nothing to be done to end the Crow's reign of terror.