↠Turning Point - 042*

"your veins are full of ice-water, but mine are boiling

"your veins are full of ice-water, but mine are boiling."

T U R N I N G  P O I N T

The final train ride to Hogwarts was mostly silent, not in a sad way, even though it was truly setting in now that this was it for them and their career as students at their school of golden magic and home to all. No, they weren't sad, the sadness was in September when the air still smelled like summer and the leaves had yet to turn from green. Now it white, the air was dry and trees stood barren. Outwardly, there appeared to be a million reasons to be sad, as if the weather was influenced by their emotions, but the group was warm, content.

Sage had her head leaning against the window of the train as Sirius had his lean tilted backward. She was exhausted. There was too much to do now, too many things to worry about. The war was officially walking in the halls of Hogwarts, Jasper's housemates openly wore the mark of Voldemort, a permanent scar, a pledge of loyalty to ignorance and supremacy. With the war now standing in its students, Sage had been written a large letter from Albus Dumbledore formally inviting her to join the Order of the Phoenix.

But it was so much more than that too.

With Sage and Sirius's wedding date getting closer and closer, and the thought of having to wait 6 more months to see their adoptive son, the days already seemed to stretch. And for the young queen, her role was already decided for her in almost every way. In duty, in studies, in status, in life. Sage made herself a fighting force before she truly realized what it meant. The muggleborn queen standing on the side of hope, equality, directly against everything her fiancé's family believes in, what they preach to their generations.

Her role was decided. She would fight, bound to defend her people even if it cost her life.

That was terrifying, terrifying in so many indescribable ways. Sometimes, she could look in the mirror and still see herself as an 11-year-old girl, who had so much hope in magic, what it could do. Now she sees her eyes and others, what magic has done to them, what's it's taken and given. Sage had heard many say before that magic comes at a price, and for her generation, that price was their livelihood.

The night prior as the family pack for their return to Hogwarts and Sage met with the woman who would be caring for Alexander, the baby boy cried and cried, breaking Sage's heart as she held him close to her chest. It was like he knew they were leaving, and that crushed her soul in so many ways.

So now she was sitting there, regal even in her relaxed stance, next to her fiancé and their best friend beside him, with James Potter and Lily Evans in front of them. Peter was somewhere on the train, probably with Frank Longbottom and Frank's girlfriend Alice.

"Herb. . . Are you okay?" James' voice broke through the silence, causing Sirius to look over at his fiancé in concern as well.

Sage shifted in her seat and just offered the two a tight smile, "I'm just tired, boy's, that's all."

James nodded, satisfied with the answer knowing it was the truth in most ways. Sirius reached over and gently grabbed her hand, lightly tracing over her skin with his thumb as she leaned her head onto his shoulder. Both of them appeared content, but if you look for just a second longer you could see the longing they had to be back with their son.

So that was it. The rest of the train ride was filled will mellow feelings and a grey atmosphere as snow dropped with rage from the sky.

———

He was staring at her, his old features seemed more prominent these days as exhaustion fought back against his body. Albus Dumbledore was tired. Sage had never heard of a time where Albus Dumbledore wasn't a shining symbol of hope for the Wizarding World, and she couldn't imagine the toll that had taken on him after all these years. First, it was Grindlewald, now it's Voldemort. The fight against hatred never seemed to end.

It seemed to Sage in that moment that her and Albus Dumbledore had the same fate.

Hated by some, idolized by others, the rest just didn't care. But both of them were caught up in an endless cycle of hate, unimaginable darkness. It was suffocating them, stealing the air from their lungs and light from their eyes. Soon enough they'd be nothing but names on a list of war casualties.

'No. You can't think that way.' Sage had to tell herself that every day. But the thought was beginning to eat at her insides. She knew more than she was supposed to, it was her job, but the horrors of what she had to see now was something she never imagined. There would be a light in the world she lived in soon enough, but the Queen couldn't see it soon enough.

"Have you considered the role I want to give you, your Majesty?" Their deafening silence was cut by Dumbledore speaking up.

Sage tensed up. She knew what she had to do, it was her duty, her responsibility to her people, whether that was fair or not. They were her priority because her people weren't just anyone, they were her family too, her friends, her future husband, her son.

"Yes. The Order has my loyalty, and my resources. I will do whatever is deemed necessary."

"I'm sure your people would be extremely proud of you if they knew about your bravery, Your Majesty. Not only are you a leading woman, their queen, but a soldier." Dumbledore smiled at her. It wasn't a soft smile, but a grateful one.

Sage Marie Mary-Windsor was his key to victory. She had everything they needed, money, resources, people. . . Regulus Black. The boy knew where a vital object was hidden. Albus knew the boy wasn't dead, he knew the royal family wouldn't allow Regulus to die. He also knew about the order from under Sage's lady-in-waiting name that she had received from the Owlery last school year.

The two were the same chest piece on the board, Sage and Dumbledore. They weren't the most important piece, but certainly the Order's most powerful. In a way, this was them locking in their future, tying their hands in the fate of the Wizarding World, the vital future for people like Sage herself.

So, this was it. Sage's first official day as a soldier. A path she chose, something that wasn't forced on her at birth.