Chapter 6

Xia knew Xiaojun was popular. She knew Xiaojun was very popular. What she didn't expect was for other girls to approach her because of it.

"Hey Xia!" One of the girls in her lecture called out as she began packing her things, more than exhausted from the school day.

"Yeah?" Xia said, swinging her bag over her shoulder as she met the eyes of the girl that called her name.

"You're friends with Xiaojun, right?" The girl asked as they walked out of class together. Today Xiaojun was the one with the later class, so Xia was going to have to wait for him.

"I thought that was obvious, but yes." Xia said with a chuckle but the girl wasn't laughing.

"Just friends, right?" It was one of those conversations.

Xia let out a deep sigh. "Yes, Xiaojun is single if that's what you're wondering but if you want to go on a date with him you should ask him yourself."

"But I did." The girl whined with a pout. "He said maybe when he has time, what is that supposed to mean?"

Of course he did, Xia thought, already knowing her best friend's bad habit of not being able to reject people properly.

"It means no." Xia said and watched as the girl's face fell. "But if it makes you feel better, I just think he's not into dating right now."

"That honestly didn't help." The girl said with a frown, adjusting her bag over her shoulder. "But thanks anyways, I guess."

Xia heard the girl mumbling to herself as she walked away and couldn't help but wonder if she had said something wrong.

I mean, I was just being honest.

...

Xia had to admit, working on her music at the garage was not easy. Customers constantly came in and out and the roaring of engines was quite distracting, no matter how focused she was.

I need a break.

Xia took off her headphones, glancing at Xiaojun as he worked, thinking about her encounter with the girl. Xiaojun must have noticed her eyes on him, as once he was done with the customer, he made his way over to where she was.

"You seem pretty distracted today, what's wrong?" Xiaojun asked as he sat down in the stool beside her.

"Maybe because girls keep thinking that just because I'm their friend, I can hook them up with you." Xia said, not even bothering to lie. Xiaojun could read her like an open book. "I don't get it, Jun. Are you really that against dating?"

"It's not that I'm against it." Xiaojun muttered but Xia gave him a look, making him gulp. "Okay, maybe I am but I have a good reason."

"Is your work really that busy that you can't date?" Xia asked but Xiaojun shook his head.

"It's not that work is busy, I just have other things in mind." Xiaojun said but Xia wasn't convinced.

"Like what?"

Xiaojun sighed, wiping his hands that were covered in oil grease with the towel on the table. "Well, you know how you want to be a performance DJ?"

"Yeah."

"Well, I want to go far with music too. Like be a singer." Xiaojun told her.

"I know that, but what does that have to do with dating?" Xia asked, still confused.

"You see, in the music industry, people aren't that you know." Xiaojun said, waving his hand. "Open to dating. I should probably keep a good track record if I want to go into that industry."