Chapter 80

Vaughn's past

Vaughn's past... about 40 years ago

It was a long time then...

I had a twin sister. I vaguely remember all the things about her but... she was everything to me, even more so than our parents.

I remember while we were still in elementary school, she was the one that developed her ability first.

"Hey V! Look!" Vaughn's sister shouted cheerfully with her glowing green eyes, and she also had the same hair color as mine.

"Aria? A-are you sure that's a good idea?" I asked full of worry, because what she did was, she floated around in the air like a balloon. "You should come down before anything bad happens!"

But she didn't listen. Instead, she spun around some more mid-air. "Woohoo!"

.     .     .

While I was spending time at the academy, she was all the friend that I had — or more like — I was her shadow. Every other student was admiring my sister by how she got her powers before everyone else

"You can fly, Aria!?"

"Wow! Cool!"

"I hope I can fly too, one day!"

I did admire her too, even to this day. But I couldn't say it was the same for everyone.

Middle school came. No other students admired her anymore. All she could do was to float, and so did I. Everyone got their abilities by now, and most of them are stronger than hers. Even my version was more powerful than her.

But that didn't keep Aria from keeping that cheerful personality, or at least from my point of view.

I vividly remembered this one time where Aria asked to join in to eat lunch together with the same friends she had in elementary.

"Hey guys! Can I join you guys?"

"Hi Aria..." One of her supposed friend replied. "This chairs were supposed to be for someone else. Maybe next time though!"

There never was a 'next time'. 

She was always subtly refused, and kept making all sorts of excuses to keep Aria away from them. I wasn't really the social type either so we mostly spent time by just the two of us.

Her expression never changed, at least in front of me. But it irritated me, that she just let them degrade her and continued to smile like that.

I couldn't help but to grit my teeth. I couldn't stand it, so I approached them.

*tat...tat...tat*

"Hm? Vaughn? What's up?"

"Why are you treating Aria like that?" I asked, staring at them coldly