31 | heartbreak

Third person pov:

Jungkook took the bus home that day and thought a lot about everything that has happened so far. He wasn't sure how he was going to talk to Taehyung, but he will figure something out.

For now, he was stuck at a gift shop trying to find a present for Tae to make their talk go smoother and hopefully a little less awkward. He also planned to buy something for Jimin, wanting to thank him for being such a good friend.

"Aghh what's Jimin's favourite colour again? Was it pink or blue? I can't remember.." he mumbled to himself while picking out pretty necklaces with small embedded stars on them, he just knew the older would love it since it was sparkly. In the end, he picked a purple one since it was a mix of the two colours, plus he wasn't about to stand there for hours trying to choose between the two.

Choosing a present for Taehyung proved itself to be a bit more tricky since Jungkook didn't really know what he would like. As much as he wanted to be the bigger person and be nice to him, at the same time he still felt hurt and annoyed after what he did, or more precisely, what he didn't do. Sure, it was also his own fault for not telling the older about his feelings sooner, but how could he when things seemed to go so well? He didn't want to ruin what they had and make the other distance himself away from him.

But he knew that they had to get this resolved at last, no matter the outcome. He was tired of the constant mood swings they had; one moment being all over each other and the next fighting and not speaking a word to one another for days. It was exhausting.

"Is that all sir? Would you like to wrap the things up in some paper or buy a decorative box if it's for a present?" The cashier asked once Jungkook finally picked everything out.

After thinking about it for a moment he nodded. "Yes please, I'd like a small box for the necklace and just a paper bag for the other thing with a space for a note. Thanks."

—————

Jungkook was nervously tapping his foot in the bus on his way back home. He was practicing in his head over and over again what to say to the older once he got there, dreading his reaction so badly. But he was ready to be rejected, he was okay with it and came to terms with it at this point – that's what he kept telling himself at least. He just wanted to get it over with and finally have a peaceful mind knowing that he wasn't hiding anything from the other anymore.

Once they reached his street he didn't want to get off at his bus stop, his legs wobbly as he stood up. The pit in his stomach grew larger the closer he got to his apartment building, feeling breathless after taking the last few steps on the stairs and reaching his door. His hand refused to unlock it, so much anxiety was building up in his body that it made him feel physically sick. Fuck, why was he so weak?

As if reading his mind, the neighbouring door opened and Jimin's head popped out from it. Thank god.

"Oh! Jungkook you're back. Hey." He quickly ran out into the hallway in only his slippers and a bathrobe wrapped around his delicate body. Jungkook looked at him a little confused but extremely relieved that he can buy himself some more time. "Hi Minnie, what's with the bathrobe?" He chuckled.

The older looked down at himself and let out a small "oh" before clearing his throat. "I just uh.. actually I was waiting for you and when I saw you approaching from the window I had to see you even though I was about to shower." He scratched the back of his neck awkwardly, something felt off.

"Is everything okay?" Jungkook furrowed his eyebrows. "You seem nervous for some reason." He took the key out from the keyhole and placed it back into his pocket.

"No- I mean yes! It's nothing. You wanna maybe come over and chill at my place for a bit? You always tell me that Tae works late anyway so he won't be back for a while probably." He rocked on his heels and looked very on edge while eyeing the door from time to time.

Now Jungkook was getting really suspicious and confused. "No he actually finishes early from time to time so he should be home already today." He spoke slowly while focusing on the older with squinted eyes. "I was actually about to talk to him so I don't think this is the best moment, but maybe later we can hang out?" He whipped the key back out and was about to unlock the door.

"Wait no! Don't go in there!!" Jimin spoke quickly but covered his mouth immediately after, as if regretting what he said.

"Okay you're seriously scaring me Jimin. What is going on?" Jungkook unlocked the door either way and had his hand ready on the handle.

Jimin shook his head, his eyes glossy like he was about to cry. "I'm so sorry Jungkook.. I saw Tae come back with a girl earlier and I just don't want you getting hurt again—"

Without thinking, Jungkook immediately opened the door and barged in without wasting another second. Hundreds of emotions shot through his brain at once and he couldn't control his movements, as if his body was moving on its own. Dreading the sight he might find behind the bedroom door like it meant the end of something, the end of him. The end of THEM. But.. was there ever a them to begin with?

Everything was happening in slow motion as Jungkook ran inside, heart beating like crazy and stomach feeling like it had a thousand bricks inside, pulling him down and causing physical pain.

As much as he wanted to just run away and pretend like everything was okay again, act like he wasn't hurt like he always did, this time he couldn't. Taking a deep breath and throwing his bag on the floor, he walked over to their shared bedroom where he saw an image through the half opened door that he wished he never had to see.

No.. nononononono! This can't be happening!! His heart dropped, shattering into a million pieces.

At that point he just felt.. empty all of a sudden, not knowing what to feel anymore, covering his mouth as he gasped and hid behind the wall where Taehyung won't see him. Suddenly, everything became so clear and loud, moans echoed throughout the house as Jungkook slid down the wall slowly and broke down in a silent cry.

Vision gradually becoming blurry and everything around him collapsing, as if he was being crushed by the air itself in the room. It was suffocating.

Jimin couldn't bare seeing the younger in this state, a big lump sitting in his throat as he also felt himself try and suppress the tears from falling.

Without an another thought, he rushed inside and grabbed Jungkook's work bag before walking over to the younger and picking him up as well, taking the poor soul back to his apartment before sitting him down on his couch.

That was when Jungkook finally let it all out and started sobbing loudly.