MIDDLE SCHOOL

"MIDORIYA IZUKU? WHO'S THAT?" (Y/N) asks curiously

She had been mindlessly scrolling on her phone when that name caught her attention. It's a pretty name, both the given and family name. However, it is the family name that catches her attention.

Midoriya. Green Valley.

"You don't know who that is, (L/N)?" Akimiya questions, slinging her arm over (Y/N)'s shoulder. "It's impossible not to."

"Is he popular?" The girl inquires. She knows that this couldn't have been the case. Aldera Junior High was home to two groups of 'popular' students: one being her own friend group and the second one being Bakugou Katsuki's crowd.

She only knows he exists because her friend, Matsumoto, is dating one of the guys that Bakugou keeps around him all the time. Aside from the occasional 'hello' and days when Matsumoto wanted to merge the two groups together and hang out, (Y/N) never really took the time out of her day to talk to him.

All she knows is that he is rowdy and that she does not enjoy his company.

Akimiya giggles, sharing a look with Matsumoto. (Y/N) recognizes it instantly; Akimiya is making fun of her. She thinks it's subtle, but (Y/N) has seen it long enough to know what it means and when it is used.

"You're so cute," Akimiya coos, pinching (Y/N)'s cheeks. "Isn't she so cute?"

(Y/N) hates when she does that.

Matsumoto laughs. "You don't know what goes on around you, do you?" She asks, subtly gesturing to one of the seats by the window. "Do you see that boy?"

(Y/N) follows Matsumoto's line of sight, careful not to appear suspicious, and her eyes land on a head of silky brown hair parted to the side.

"That's Midoriya Izuku?" she asks, lowering her voice to a hushed whisper.

"No, but that's who you'll become if you don't pay attention to your surroundings," Akimiya cackles, acting like this is the funniest thing in the world. "Endo Kenji, the nerd who always stares out the window because he has nothing better to do!"

At times like this, (Y/N) wishes that her friend knew how to control her voice. Endo glances in their direction and when she makes eye contact with the poor boy, she averts her gaze out of embarrassment.

"I think he heard us," Matsumoto says and Akimiya laughs again, louder this time. It's immature, but that's how the environment here at Aldera Junior High is. To preserve power, those at the top play little mind games with those below them. Sometimes, it's annoying and other times, downright cruel.

Suddenly, an explosion rings out and from the sound of it, people are shouting. The blast is loud and for a while, (Y/N) can't hear anything but the explosion. She doesn't have to look outside the window to know who it is.