Chapter 20: New Responsibilities

I sighed as I ran a hand through my untamed hair. I was at home at the moment, since school was canceled for a little while.

All Might had revealed his weakened form out of fritigue, and has officially retired from the hero business. That being said, Enji moved to number one and the young hero Hawks moved up as well.

The detective agency wanted me to return to the office, but could I really abandon these kids? I still have to see them grow into heroes. So do I have to quit the detective career and stay a teacher?

I was brought from my thoughts when I heard a knock at the door. I got up from the sofa and made my way to answer it.

As soon as I opened the door, small arms wrapped around my legs and almost made me stumble. I looked down to see Kota gripping onto my legs for dear life. I chuckled and pat him on the head and looked up at his current caretaker.

"Nice to see you've recovered from the recent fight" Mandalay says with a kind smile. (had to look it up so we can stop calling her a cosplayer)

"Not like I have a choice" I joked, finally detaching Kota. I invited both of them inside and we all sat on the couch.

"I had the whole group look through the wreckage. There is no sign of the metal anywhere, it was melted in the explosion" Mandalay sighs.

"I figured as much, I saw it melt when I did the attack. Thanks for looking anyway, I really appreciate it" I thanked with a small smile. Mandalay returned it and looked at Kota, who had taken the spot next to me.

"Kota has finally accepted his quirk, you'll never guess what made him do it-" Mandalay started but Kota panicked.

"Wait no!" Kota yelled.

"He watched your fight with All for One on TV, and he said he wanted to be just like you" Mandalay finished. Kota blushed in embarrassment and hid his face in a pillow.

"That's alright kid, I'm glad you changed your mind" I laughed. Kota took his face out of the pillow and looked at me.

"You said the weak protects the strong at the time they feel vulnerable, so I have to live up to your words" Kota explained without an ounce of self doubt. I smiled at the boy.

"That's how I know, you'll make a fine hero in the future" I said. Kota smiled at that and his eyes twinkled in the familiar admiration.

"I have a favor to ask of you. It may be too much to ask" Mandalay said. I looked towards her, a way of telling her to continue.

"Kota is afraid of our woods now, he won't leave his room at all. He also wants to practice his quirk but we have no clue how to train as well as mentor someone like him" Mandalay says.

"I want to stay with you. The woods scare me now, a-and you can protect me like you did back then" Kota finished hesitantly. My eyes widened at the request. Take in Kota? I haven't had another person living here since, back then.

"We understand if you have no time. I know the detective agency is ordering you to withdraw from the school and back into their ranks, but Kota wanted to at least try and ask" Mandalay explained, keeping loving eyes on Kota the entire time.