Chapter Twelve

"I don't think I can do this."

After three long months of recovery, I stand in a small living room, the leather of a couch sticking to my clammy skin as I rub my hands up and down my jeans. My foot taps against the floor, perfectly synchronized with the clock as the seconds tick by, my eyes remaining fixed on the door opposite me. Of all the things I could choose to do once I'm allowed to come out the hospital, I choose to do this. The most stressful and potentially painful confession I'll ever have to make.

"You have absolutely nothing to worry about." assures Stephen as he steps out the kitchen, two steaming mugs of hot coco in his hands, their rich chocolate scent filling my nostrils and calming me. Nothing like a good cup of coco in front of the fire on a winters night.

As Stephen comes to a halt in front of me, he stretches out the mug labeled "worlds best aunt" and hands it to me, a small smile lighting up my face as I take it from him. Gently, I raise it to my lips, the hot liquid burning my mouth before I quickly place the cup down on the table. "What if he doesn't like me?"

"He'll love you Abi." he demands, lowering  himself onto the other side of the couch and placing his own mug on the table. Chuckling lightly to myself, I roll my eyes and tuck my feet up to my body, hugging my hoodie around my shoulders. "I promise." he whispers when he notices my expression, reaching across the couch and taking my hand, squeezing it reassuringly.

A creak comes from across the room, keys rattling on the other side of the door before it slides open. Taking a deep breath, I stand up and fix my clothes. After a brief glance towards Stephen who nods reassuringly, I turn back to the door to be welcomed by Peter's face, headphones covering his ears as his eyes remain fixed on his phone. Teenagers.

"Hey Aunt May, I'm back..." he announces, completely oblivious to the fact that his aunt is in fact currently outside talking to Happy. As he makes his way inside, he tosses his keys on a table, shrugging his jacket off and hanging it on the coat rack before pulling off his headphones. Just as he does so, his eyes meet mine causing him to come to a sudden halt. "Miss Stark?" he whispers, carefully placing his phone away in his pocket as he steps further into the living room, his eyes landing on Stephen for the first time. "Doctor Strange?" he asks, his voice becoming more and more worried with each word he speaks.

"Hey Peter." I mumble, smiling softly at him before turning towards the chair opposite the couch and gesturing for him to sit down. "We need to talk."

"Erm okay," he whispers, taking a seat in the chair as I take one too. Peters eyes fly between me and Stephen, his body shuffling nervously in the chair as his chest rises and falls rapidly. Swallowing hard, I glance at Stephen, my eyes pleading him to help. To say something. Anything that will call Peter down. "What's going on?" Peter asks as Stephen shuffles closer to us both, leaning forwards and sighing as he looks at Peter.

"It's nothing to worry about Peter but," Stephen pauses, glancing briefly at me and checking I'm okay before turning back to Peter. "Abi has something important to tell you." Peters eyes whip to mine instantly, narrowing as he opens his mouth to say something, quickly shutting it as he decides it's best not to.

Looking down at me knees, I twiddle with my thumbs, my leg bouncing nervously beneath me and causing my body to shake slightly. "So this is going to be confusing Peter and before I say anything, I want you to know that what I'm about to tell you doesn't have to change anything for you. I will completely understand if you hate me or never want to see me but please, don't give up being an avenger just because you don't want to be near me." I pause, waiting for some reaction from Peter who just sits there staring at me, his eyes blank as he blinks a few times. Straight over his head. Yep, just like I thought it would do. Taking a deep breath, I nod a few times, closing my eyes before I begin again. "I'm your mum Peter."

Opening my eyes one at a time, I look up to see Peter staring at me, his mouth slightly ajar as he freezes in place. Glancing to my left, I look to Stephen, pleading for his help as he shrugs his shoulders. "Is this a joke?" Peter asks, finally breaking the silence as he turns to me with confusion on his face. "My parents died in a plane crash when I was four." he assures me, his eyes glistening in the light and his muscles tense.

"It's not a joke Peter," I promise him, slowly leaning forwards and carefully taking his hand in mine. His head shoots up, his eyes landing on mine as I smile softly at him. "Your adoptive parents died when you were four yes but..." I pause as I reach up to his face, gently placing a hand on his cheek and wiping away a tear that squeezes its way from the corner of his eye. "your mum is sat right here in front of you."

He opens his mouth to say something only to close it again, biting his lip before swallowing hard. His shoulders relax as he squeezes my hand tightly, smiling slightly at me. But even through his smile I can see his lack of belief in my words.

"I know it's hard to take in but just let me explain." I ask, his head nodding as I sit back up straight, taking a deep breath and closing my eyes. "When you were just a few weeks old, hydra found me and took me away, for a long while Peter. Even after I was out of Hydra we weren't safe because they just never give up. So, I was forced into hiding and with me, you. I knew it wasn't fair nor healthy to raise a child in hiding, never able to teach them to ride their bike or take them to their first day of school because I could go outside. It just...wouldn't work. No matter how hard I tried I wouldn't be able to raise you right so I decided to give you to a family who could. I'd known the Parkers for a long time and knew they were great people who would take care of you so I gave you to them. They had SHIELD wipe your memory so you'd never remember what happened and I promised to stay out your life." A tear falls from my chin, the salt water soaking into my jeans as I smile though the memories of giving Peter away. "After they died I kept an eye on you, or rather Tony and Happy did. They'd come home and tell me everything about your day, just as I'd imagined you would after a long day of school. I remember when Tony told me you'd become Spider-Man. I was so proud that my little boy was saving people and I wanted so badly to tel you that. I guess now I can." I smile, my tearful eyes meeting Peters as he smiles at me through his own.

"You're proud of me?"Peter asks in a shaky voice as his chin trembles, tears spilling over the side of his eyes as he smiles at me. Smiling to myself, I nod, leaning forwards and taking his hand between both of my own.

"So, so proud." I promise him as he throws his arms around my neck, his head buried in the small of my neck. For a moment I don't know what to do, my muscles freezing in place and refusing to move. But after a few seconds, my arms wrap around Peters small frame and I pull his body closer to my own. If I could only stay here forever, keeping him safe from the world's harmful people. One could only hope. As a quiet sob comes from Peter, I raise my hand, stroking the back of him head comfortingly just as Tony had me on the countless sleepless nights after my kidnapping.

"I'm proud of you too mum." Peter whispers against my shoulder as he squeezes me tighter, the smile of my face growing wider. Looking up, I notice Stephen stood in the far side of the room, smiling to himself as he takes a sip of his hot coco. Smiling at him, I mouth the words Thank you. He simply nods his head and returns the smile.

Right here and right now, I feel at home.