Chapter 30- The Kick

Whoa Baby

Chapter 30- The Kick

"Everyone has some evil inside them, and the first step to loving anyone is to recognize the same evil in ourselves, so we're able to forgive them." -Unknown

My dad built the crib over the weekend and I actually got to be involved in the project rather than just sit there and read directions. After that my mom and I went out to look for a bedding set for the baby. SJ came along, and I let him help me choose. It actually looked like he was enjoying it. I was thinking that he'd be upset and pull some antics to seek attention because he wouldn't be the baby in the family anymore, but the idea didn't even seem to faze him.

Nevertheless he helped me, choosing from over a dozen animal themes, to a handful of nautical themes, and the occasional sports or cars theme. He choose something different though. I thought he would have went for cars or a tough animal like the lion, but he pulled something off the shelf and pushed it to me to look.

"What's the green leaf for, Paisley?" He asks, pointing to the sticker on the bag.

"It says organic cotton. That might be a little expensive SJ." I chuckle faintly, shaking my head without even looking at it. I knew if I did I'd probably fall in love with it.

"But the number was in red for ninety-nine." He says, pointing to where he got it.

Well it's not the most expensive we're seen today. I thought, taking a moment to look at it. It was a theme color of a dark blueish gray, white, and pale gray, blue, and yellow. Trains were the pale colors, and the solid and stripe colors were the dark blueish gray and white. It looked classic and gorgeous. The bedroom set they pictured on the bag was something I would love to have put together- if it didn't cost me a thousand dollars or more.

"I like this one. Or the lion one, but I like the trains better. Then one day when he's big I can give him my train set and it'll match his room." He says, tapping his hands on the bag and looking up to me with a clever smile.

"SJ you would give up your train set?" I question him. It was his favorite train set he got a couple Christmases ago. He didn't play with it much now, thanks to technology that captured his mind, but he always knew if you messed with it.

"The baby will like to play with it better than me." He says, shrugging his shoulders. "So are you going to get it?" He asks, lifting it by the handle, prepared to carry it for me without even giving him an answer yet.

"I think the baby is going to have a pretty cool uncle, you know that?" I tell him, ruffling his hair as he dragged the bag down the aisle.

"I know that." He says laughing, "Mom! I picked it out, look!" SJ shouted, when he found her looking through clothes.

"Oo, that's a nice one SJ. Paisley you like it?" She asks, looking over it and then up to me.

"Yeah, it'll look good." I agree. The colors would go nicely with the dark furniture in the room, "Come on, I want to get home and make myself a smoothie." I say, nodding my head in the direction to leave.

"Mom can you carry this. It's a lot of work." He says with a big sigh, wiping the fake sweat off his forehead. My mom and I laugh hysterically, teasing SJ and how silly he is. When we were in line he also asked for a small bag of Sour Patch kids, and since he was behaving so well and being really helpful mom allowed him to get a treat.

"Green. Your favorite, right?" He says, holding it up for me.

"It is, thank you SJ." I smile. I bend down kissing his cheek and forcing him into a hug, "You're so cute and I love you so much."