Chapter 39

Chevel’s POV

“T-that human!” The girl seated on the bed beside the unoccupied one said.

I shifted my gaze towards the girl she pointed out and she just cowered, hiding her face from all the eyes watching her.

“S-she dared talk back to a succubus the other day!” The girl added as her body trembled vigorously whilst the accused one covered her ears anxiously.

I felt a pang in my chest upon seeing the poor girl being discriminated. She might’ve been treated so poorly by humans alike.

That’s when I’ve decided.

I slid my hands off Gyth’s and took the baggage from his other hand. I sat on the unoccupied bed and the countless murmurs disappeared, turning into silence.

I drifted my gaze onto Gyth’s evergreen eyes and painted a smile on my lips. He stared at me for a while before he smiled back.

All of a sudden, he bent down in front of me and my chest began to raise as he approached my face.

I froze in place as the cold sensation of his lips grazed my forehead. My cheeks flushed in pure surprise as he stood back up.

I stared at him hazily, feeling the tingling feeling in my body and the butterflies in my stomach. He suddenly shined brightly before my eyes.

“I’ll see you tomorrow, Chevel.” Gyth said patting my head before his figure began disappearing through the door.

I was left with misty thoughts and constant thumping in my chest.

It was the first time he did something like that and I just can’t help but be clouded with absurd thoughts. Not to mention the electrifying sensation it sent through my body.

“Hey..” A soft voice said through the dim light, snapping me out of my thoughts.

I almost jumped out of the bed upon seeing a head peeking upside down from the bed above mine. I sighed in relief upon realizing it is the same girl everyone called out to be cursed.

“You’re scaring me. Come down here.” I said whilst forming a smile on my lips. She hesitated for a moment before nodding and going down the ladder.

She stood awkwardly in front of me as I stared at her physique. I patted the space beside me, signaling for her to seat. She pressed her lips, trying to suppress the smile that I obviously noticed as she sat beside me.

She helped me settle my clothes on the drawer beneath my bed. I came to know that each bunk bed has two large drawers beneath them where we could put our clothes in.

She opened her drawer next to mine, which was full of neatly folded clothes.

“You should get a sweater, it gets really cold in the middle of the night.” She said pulling out one from her drawer.

I nodded pulling out the one Gyth gave me as I finished placing all of my clothes in my drawer.

“Aren’t you ashamed to be seen with me?” She suddenly asked as we sat on my bed.

I drifted my eyes towards her sad ones as I shook my head. Honestly, I’m more than afraid of the demons living in the same roof as us.

“Really?” She asked with a bright smile on her face. I nodded painting a smile on my face as I see how a smile looks good on her.

I don’t quite understand why they are being mean to her. I won’t just judge someone based on what others say and I think she had a fair reason why she did such thing. Not to mention the dreadful stories I’ve heard about how humans are treated in here.

“It’s true though..” She murmured hesitantly, looking away. “I did talk back to the succubus..” She added.

“I’m sure you have a good reason why you did that, right?” I said and her eyes instantly darted towards mine in surprise.

“Yes!” She promptly responded but was taken aback. “I-I mean, kind of. How do I put this..” She said scratching her head. I studied her as she hardly thought of ways on how to tell me.

“I was just a bit flustered at the time and I absentmindedly yelled, catching everyone’s attention..” She explained. “I really didn’t mean to but after that, everyone avoided me as if I have a disease.” She finished and I immediately patted her shoulder.

“Hey don’t worry about it anymore.” I said comforting her and her face lit up instantly.

“Thank you and Goodnight..” She shyly said as she went up the ladder.

“Oh! What’s your name?” She asked peeking below while I was about to lay down the bed.

“I’m Chevel. And you?” I answered, seating back up.

“I’m Emily. Nice to meet you!” She said with a bright tone. I smiled nodding my head.

“Goodnight Emily.” I said laying down the bed as I sensed her did the same.

My first day wasn’t so bad. I immediately made a friend but I wonder what Gyth might be doing now.

I held his sweater closely to my face, savoring his faint scent on the garment as I slowly drifted off to sleep.

Gyth’s POV

I bent down to Chevel’s eye level and stared at her for quite sometime. I was thinking of taking her away from this room and bringing her to mine. But that would not possibly be in the king’s liking.

I drifted my gaze towards her lips to her cheeks and slowly up towards her forehead.

All of a sudden, I found myself approaching her face and the next thing I knew, my lips landed on her forehead.

I felt her features tense up on my sudden touch as the sensation of her skin left warmth on my lips. It’s the warmth I felt the first time I pressed my lips against hers.

I stood up on my feet and patted her head before slowly pacing towards the door. Each step felt like a stab in my chest as I distanced away from Chevel.

I walked out the door feeling the intense weight in my body. In fact, I really didn’t want to leave Chevel at that room. But the way she smiled, as if she’s telling me to trust her left me with no choice.

I dragged my feet towards my chamber. I picked up my baggage in front of the door and slid it inside the room as I threw myself on the couch.

The room is almost as big as mine and it’s such a waste that I couldn’t share it with Chevel.

I let out a sigh as I stared through the ceiling with a blank mind. I inhaled deeply as the faint scent of Chevel lingered in my nose.

This is not what I have planned. Everything’s ruined since we stepped foot into this den.

A/N: HEHEHE HI....... My sincerest apologies for the late update. Life happened :DD I hope you're all faring well. Keep safe lovessss <3