Chapter 21

Stay back! Stay back I say! 🤺🤺 - Daytra

👻

Vixen?

Vixen, you have to get up.

Harley, Jay, and Tyler need you.

Get up, Vixen.

Get up.

"Jake?" I croaked as my eyes slowly fluttered open and adjusted to the darkness of the night. "Fuck..."

What the fuck happened?!

I opened my eyes and checked my surroundings. I laid sprawled across the forest floor, twigs and dirt in my hair. The sound of beeping and crackling rang through the silence.

The beeping came from the Apple Watch on my wrist. A timer was going off that read, Tyler: 60 Minutes Remaining.

I squinted my eyes to make sure I was reading my watch right and when I realized what that meant, I cursed and scrambled off the ground, "Fuck, fuck, fuck! Jay? Jay! Harley?!" I shouted through the forest at the top of my lungs, spinning around.

I turned around to find the cabin completely leveled, nothing but burned, blackened pieces of wood remained. I ran over to the wreckage, checking for any signs of Jay or Harley, but I found nothing.

Where the hell are they?!

"Vixen! Vixen!" I heard Harley and Jay's broken voices scream. They sounded farther, deeper into the thick woods and it would be trouble finding them in the dark.

"Harley? Jay? Keep talking guys, I'm going to follow your voices!" I yelled.

I followed the sound of their voices through the forest as they rambled about random things, "I don't know how much time we have left to save my brother, Vixen! I don't even know how long we've been out!" Jay exclaimed.

"We'll find him okay, Jay? Don't worry about it!" I reassured him.

I navigated myself through the forest, still following their voices, as I stepped over logs, dodged puddles, and maneuvered around large rocks.

About five minutes later, I found them standing together under the moon's light. Harley and Jay's faces were covered in grayish-black soot.

When Harley saw me, she rushed over to me and wrapped her skinny arms around me, "Thank god! I was afraid you would get lost in there!" She remarked, squeezing me.

I chuckled, "You don't have to yell anymore, Harls. I found you."

Harley let go of me and stepped back, "Haha, sorry."

I patted her back and turned to Jay. There was fear in his eyes and I could tell he was nervous about our time limit and finding his brother, "How much time do we have left to find Tyler? I lost my phone." He said to me.

As much as I wanted to protect Jay from the truth, I had to tell him.

I checked my watch before looking back at him, "Fifty-three minutes..."