034 | kuroo's birthday

they loved her like the birds loved the sky

TEARS RAN DOWN THEIR FACES, loud sobs echoing throughout the gymnasium

TEARS RAN DOWN THEIR FACES, loud sobs echoing throughout the gymnasium. Like a stormy sea, the waves of their emotions surged unsteadily. Streaks of fire burned their cheeks, tears bursting forth like a dam cracked open. 

"Sayeko-senpai!" wailed Nishinoya, sinking onto his knees. His chin trembled as if he was a small child, breathing heavier than any game he partook in. Tanaka fell to his side, a hand latched onto his shoulder as a sign of comfort, though he struggled to hold back his own cries. His other hand rose to muffle the sounds escaping his mouth, tears streaming down his face, stinging his eyes.

Mizuki turned to her best friend, confused.

"Why are they acting as if I'm dead?" she asked Kiyoko. "All I said was I'm not going to the youth camp."

Let's go back a few moments ago.

"Good afternoon!" greeted the team to their supervisor, Takeda-sensei, adorning his usual neon green tracksuit.

"This is sudden, but I have some big news. Kageyama-kun, you've been asked to attend the All-Japan Youth Training Camp!" 

"All...Japan?!"

The boys discussed the announcement, Tanaka and Nishinoya ruffling the boy's hair and jumping on his back out of pure genuine excitement for their kouhai. Mizuki stood beside the female managers, arms crossed her chest, watching kindly.

"Sayeko-san." Takeda turned to her, beaming proudly. "They've asked for you as well."

Her eyes widened in surprise, the conversations on court ceasing.

"For Sayeko?" questioned Sugawara.

Takeda nodded. "Apparently, Fuki Hibarida, the coach for the Japan Olympic's Men's Volleyball Team, was impressed with your analytical skills and requested you join."

"Sugoi!"

"That's amazing, Sayeko-san!"

"The training camp is going to be held for five days at the beginning of December, and right before the Spring Tournament in January, so it's not a requirement to go. But"

"I'll go," Kageyama exclaimed.

"They should go," Daichi said, glancing at the younger boy with an excited grin. "I mean, the best in Japan will be there. Not to mention, there's no point in a team like us being timid."

Takeda stared back at his student, brows furrowed in agreement.

"Ano," spoke Mizuki, directing the attention to her. "I'd like to reject the invitation."

"W-What?!"

"Why?" asked Kiyoko, bewilderment washing over her face.

"What do you mean why?" Mizuki shot her a friend a weird look. "I'm Karasuno's analyst. Nobody else's."