9| Defeat

Chapter 9: Defeat (Evelyn's POV)

I was putting a client's gown in the plastic cover and handing it to her when the bell chimed as the door opened. I looked over, immediately realizing it was Lucas. "Have a great day," I smiled at the customer as she left. 

He walked over to me, resting his arms on the table. "Hey," he said softly. 

"Hey," I replied, giving him a small smile. 

"Can I talk to you for a moment?" he asked. 

I nodded, stepping aside with him, near the changing rooms which were currently empty. 

"Um, I can't come tonight. To the lake," he whispered. 

"Has something come up?" I questioned, trying not to show that I hurt and angry and annoyed. 

"Um, I just don't think I should with all the princesses there. I might get caught," he shrugged. 

"Oh, you might get caught?" I asked, biting my tongue to keep my temper in. I don't like being lied to and I have a hunch that he is lying to me right now. And that pisses me off. 

"Yeah, is that okay?" he asked slowly, looking at me warily. 

"Yeah, that's okay. You're here now," I smiled, taking in a breath. 

"I have to go back though," he chuckled. 

"No, I know," I nodded. "Um, can you meet me tomorrow?" I asked. 

"Yeah, yeah I can try," he agreed. 

"Okay," I said slowly. 

"Okay. Bye," he said, quickly pecking my lips before turning around and heading right out of the store. 

I sat in my chair, staring out the window and thinking about what this situation had turned into. A part of me really wants to believe that he's telling me the truth and he can't leave the palace because it's too risky. But then a part of me thinks Prince Archer was telling the truth about him seeing someone else under the bridge at midnight tonight. And it has less to do with the fact that I don't trust Lucas anymore, but more to do with the fact that I believe Archer. 

I genuinely do. I understand that he wants to marry me and that won't happen if I'm with Lucas, but I don't think he would intentionally wreck my relationship. So, what if he really is just telling me the truth? But then again, how did he even find out about us? 

I sighed, snapping out of it when a customer came up to the table. 

"I'm looking for a gown, could you please help me?" 

"Of course, what kind of gown?" I asked, walking out from around the corner. 

"An emerald green one. Preferably with a sweetheart neckline," she explained. 

"Can I know your size?" 

"I'm a small size," she answered. 

"All right, come with me." I walked her over to the gowns, focusing on the green section. This is my job, I do it every day and I know the store not only because I'm here every day, but also because I hang up the newly made dresses. "Changing rooms are that way," I pointed, handing her the two she liked most. Same shit, different day. 

.·:*¨ ✘♚✘ ¨*:·.

I sighed walking into my room. I had just come back from Fun & Food. I unbuttoned the shirt that was part of my uniform. A simple white button-up and black trousers. I put the dress that I wore in the laundry as well as this uniform since I have two sets and then I changed into my pajamas before joining my parents downstairs for dinner.