burning flames or paradise

Juliette would like to think Morgan didn't mean harm by his ring comment, but that doesn't mean it didn't hurt any less. Moments of sleep were far and few between that night, and she's already up and ready to go at 6 AM.

Technically they have the day off unless a case comes in, so she dresses in black leggings and a matching tank top, and sets off running. Juliette's townhouse is less than a mile from the big park in Quantico, the one where military brats play sports and government events are held, so she jogs there with the intention to run around the base.

After Juliette and Griffin graduated college, they spent their free time training for marathons, having completed dozens together throughout their marriage. The last race they did together was two years after she joined the FBI, in one sponsored by the bureau. Juliette never thought she would run another marathon, but it's been five years, and her therapist would say this is healthy.

So maybe running fifteen miles isn't what most people would do on their day off, but it's what Juliette had planned. After ten miles, she had made it back to the entrance of the park, checking her phone and responding to a text from her mother. While stopped, she doesn't expect to hear a familiar voice from behind. "I didn't know you're a runner."

She finds Hotch standing five feet away, just as sweaty as she is. "I didn't know you ran, either."

"I'm training for the FBI marathon, it's my first time." He nods. "What about you?"

"So am I, although I think this will be my thirtieth." Juliette starts, but she's cut off by their phones buzzing with a text from Garcia; they have a case.

Hotch sighs, looking up from his phone. "Well, good luck."

"You, too." Juliette says, thinking back to her conversation with Rossi. "I, uh- Let me know if you need any tips."

"Will do." Hotch nods, turning towards his car. "You know the parking lot's this way, right?"

"I ran here." She calls out, already jogging away.

- - -

Hotch is the last to walk into the round table room, albeit confused how Juliette got there before him, he nods to Garcia. "Let's get started."

"Ok, Atlanta field office has a serial on their hands. Two prostitutes stabbed and staged in the last two weeks." She starts, but Spencer cuts her off.

"Atlanta's crime rate has skyrocketed over the past few years, especially after the proliferation of solicited sex and drug use in the downtown area."

"Maybe this guy thinks he's cleaning up the city." JJ says.

"Means of disposal usually reflects how the person feels towards them." Juliette counters. "It looks like he didn't think poorly of his victims, he even kept them dressed."

"Whatever he's doing with them, we need to stop it." Hotch walks towards the door. "Wheels up in thirty."

Juliette follows the team out of the room, hoping to go over the case file at her desk before they leave. However, Rossi stops her in front of his office and motions for her to enter, which she does. Confusion marks Juliette's face until he closes the door. "I heard you snapped at Morgan."

"He snitched?" Juliette shakes her head. "Did he tell you what he told me?"

"Yes, he relayed the conversation to me."

"Did you tell him?"

"No, it's not my story to tell." Rossi sighs. "Did you consider being more friendly?"