45 || ceremony

HOURS PASSED, AND EVENTUALLY SO DID THE STORM. Once everyone was safe and recovering, Gaia agreed to perform the ritual. She gathered the necessary people in the throne room and I waited to make my entrance. I had to get dressed in the clothes Gaia had given me, which were a little bit big on me (actually a lot a bit big on me) but I didn't mind. They looked super cool.

As I waited outside the throne room, I could hear Gaia beginning the ceremony inside. 

"Through the dark, the flame lives on," Gaia recited. "The body passes, but the spirit is strong."

"May the spirit choose wisely," The flamekeeper scouts recited in unison.

"The spirit has chosen. Let the Commander ascend," Gaia spoke before the guards inside opened the door for me. I slowly walked into the room, erupting murmurs of shock and confusion from the crowd.

Gaia held out her hand, signaling for me to give her my own. I placed my hand on top of hers, palm open. She cut a slit across my scarred palm and balled my hand into a fist, holding it above the flame and letting my blood leak out.

"The blood of the Commanders is your blood," Gaia spoke.

I know, that's literally why I'm here.

"May the Spirit choose wisely," The flamekeeper scouts recited again. Gaia dipped a finger into the ash beneath where the flame was mounted and swiped it on my forehead.

"May the spirit of the Commanders guide me," I recited as Gaia told me to. She proudly nodded as I turned around and bowed my head, not needing to kneel since I was already short enough.

"Ascende Superius," Gaia said, unlocking the flame. I heard the familiar technological whirr of the flame. She put it in the back of my neck. I gasped slightly at the pain but put on a brave face in front of all the people.

I faced the crowd, holding my head up high. I recited the lineage as everyone else in the room kept silent and watched. I then gave the speech Gaia had told me to give and while the crowd stayed quiet out of respect.

"I am Tahlia of the Sky People. And I vow to carry on the legacy of Lexa of Trikru. I will protect and serve every clan. I will do my best to save us all from Praimfaya. As your Commander, it is my duty to lead each and every one of you. Thank you." 

"Light the pyre. Let the clans know a new commander has ascended," Gaia ordered. Two men who were closest to the door nodded and left. Everyone else began to kneel down, bowing in front of me.

This felt super-duper weird, but who am I to get in the way of tradition, I guess.

"Hail the warriors of the thirteen clans," I announced.

"Hail the Commander of the blood," The rest of the room recited together.

"Rise," I ordered respectfully like something in my brain told me to. 

"Can anyone hear me? What's going on? Why has the pyre been lit?" I heard Kane ask over Indra's radio. I held my hand out for Indra to give me the radio, which she did.

"Kane. It's Tahlia. I ascended," I spoke into the device.

"You what?" Bellamy's muffled voice demanded over the radio.

"Pardon me, Heda, but if I may..." Gaia said respectfully, gesturing to the red sash and shoulder guard in her hand. It was tradition for the commander to wear them, as well as the gold emblem token. I turned off the radio and handed it back to Indra and nodded to Gaia.