13

You shifted in your throne, trying to get more comfortable against the cold stone. You had contemplated leaving your seat next to your father in favor of something more comfortable, like one of the court members, but you hadn't, not wanting to be rude. The stone was unforgiving against the curve of your spine though, and you were regretting that decision.

At least you didn't have to stand for the whole meeting, like the twins. 

You glanced back into the shadows of your father's throne, catching two sets of purple eyes. You smiled, and Deirdre winked at you, nodding to the floor of the throne room, reminding you that you were supposed to be listening to the conversation going on. 

You sighed, and turned your attention back to the room in front of you, where Colin was rolling his eyes as Ilbertus reiterated the terms the embassy had set in the beginning. 

"I'll remind you, Prince Malcolinus," Ilbertus was saying. "That we have been very lenient with our original terms. The slaughter of innocent men is not something that you can deny-"

"And I'm not denying it." Colin interrupted. "I'm denying the terms you set, they're compltely ludicrous. Who are you to determine punishment on a king? And someone who isn't even under your jurisdiction at that!"

"A king?" Technoblade's deep rumble cut across the room. "As far as I know, your father is still the king of this land. Unless something changed overnight."

His comment landed heavy, and took Colin aback for a second - you could see the flash in his eyes. It was a serious overstep, and you glanced up at your father. Surely, he would break his silence and say something now. 

He sighed, sitting up straight and looking down at Technoblade. "Forgive my son for his misspoken comment." He said slowly. "I'm sure he meant no harm."

Ilbertus glanced at Technoblade and they traded a glance before Technoblade nodded respectfully. "Of course, your Highness. I only meant to point out the mistake." 

Colin pursed his lips, but said nothing. You could see the gears turning in his head as your father settled back into his throne, but he said nothing - yet at least. Your gaze turned to Technoblade, who looked as unfazed and passive as always. He was hard to read behind that mask he always wore, but you were getting used to his expressions. 

The discussions started slowly again, as Ilbertus brushed past Colin's comment to explain his terms for what seemed the millionth time. You were still rolling what Colin had said around in your head - did he really think of himself as the king already?

Perhaps that was why he had been acting the way he had - it was a power trip for him; exercising this newfound divine right to do whatever he pleased. How he could be so presumptuous to overlook the fact that your father still held the crown was beyond you - though your father's passive state probably didn't help. 

You grimaced to yourself. If Colin kept this up, he would surely damage every diplomatic relationship your father had spent so hard building. He was already tarnishing the kingdom's reputation in the Nether - surely he would do the same with the End. Perhaps not other Overworld kingdoms, but you could never be sure. 

Why had he been born first? Not that you were desperate for the crown, but at this point, you would gladly volunteer yourself to take his place, for the sake of your father's legacy and for the people you ruled. 

"...keep up with this nonsense, might as well put war on the table."

You were drawn back into the conversation when those words left Colin's mouth. Your eyes shot to your brother to see a dangerous sort of smile on his face as he watched the fear and apprehension flash in the court's eyes. Whispers broke out amongst the court in the silence that followed his statement - there hadn't been a war in years, but you knew the military was strong was the nightly patrols fighting off the legions of undead that threatened the villages under your kingdom's flag. 

If Colin played his cards right, he could have the entirety of the Overworld backing him. And without much in the way of government in the Nether, they would be completely decimated. It would be catastrophic. 

Your eyes darted to Technoblade. He was still unfazed, but it was more stony and tense now. He did not look at you, instead looking to Ilbertus. Ilbertus fists were clenched tight, and he was giving Colin a deadly stare that you brother met without any hesitation. It was like they were the only two in the room, locked in their invisible conflict, until Technoblade put an hand on Ilbertus arm, breaking the trance. 

"There will be no need for any of that." Technoblade said. "I'm sure we can come to a civilized agreement eventually-"

Colin scoffed. "What happened to the great war-lord, Technoblade?" He taunted. "They call you the blood god, you know. I'd thought that you, of all people, would be itching to get an axe in your hand again."

The line of Technoblade's shoulders stiffened, and he straightened his spine. "This is a matter of innocents, Malcolinus, both the men that you killed, and the men you would kill if your war becomes a reality. You should be ashamed at your excessive waste of life." 

There was an air of finality to his words that seemed to finally sink into Colin's skin, and he backed off then, letting the matter drop. As the discussion continued though, the echo of his threat still tainted the room like a thick black fog, distorting people's words as they left their mouths until everyone was disgruntled. Even Technoblade, who was normally unbothered, looked tense - his mouth set into a firm line. 

You laid a hand on your father's knee, squeezing. His eyes wandered over to yours, getting your message without you having to speak. 

"We'll adjourn here." He announced at a pause, waving the scribe away. 

Colin furrowed his eyebrows. "We usually don't end until-"

"We've done enough for today." Your father reiterated. 

You slumped slightly in your throne, bringing a hand up to massage your temple.