15

Colin was in his study when you found him, gazing out the window at the mountains. His study was not somewhere you frequented - the room was cramped in your opinion, stuffed full of military gear and maps with only one window. Your brother had never been the most organized man, and his study reflected that; years of papers and books all stacked on top of each other, scattered about the shelves and his desk. You weren't here to gripe about the room though. 

There was a look of mild discontent etched on Colin's face, and he only turned slightly when you entered the room, most of his gaze still longingly focused on the horizon. You let the door close behind you with a quiet click, hovering near his desk.

Perhaps, he was having second thoughts. 

"What do you need?" Colin asked, still gazing out the window. 

You took a steadying breath. Your nerves had been building up the entire walk through the palace - you were sure that once you said anything about the meeting that had just taken place, Colin was going to blow up, but you were willing to make the sacrifice. Something needed to be said, and as slim a chance it was, Colin still might listen to you. 

"Colin, you can't threaten war on them." You said.

He turned away from the window, looking at you head on now. "Must we have this conversation right now?"

"Yes." You said. "We must. You're being ridiculous, and you're making a fool of yourself and the kingdom."

The corner of his mouth twitched up for a second, like he was about to laugh. "I'm the one making a fool of myself? You're the one running around with that pig. Word spreads you know; people see you running off with him after the meetings and they talk."

You felt your face heat up at his comment. "I'm not the one throwing around the prospect of war like it's some kind of game. They've laid out more than acceptable terms-"

"That's not for you to decide." Colin interrupted. "I'm the one that's calling the shots here, and if I see it fit that we should go to war with them, why shouldn't we?" 

You snapped your mouth shut, heavy gaze falling on your brother. He was worse than your father - the power had completely gone to his head. 

"We'll win easily." Colin prattled on. "I've no doubt that the other kings of the Overworld will lend their support - they've been edging on taking the Nether for years, but none of them have got the balls to do it. It'll be like killing two birds with one stone - we can eradicate those ugly pigs and finally put a use to all the gold they've been hoarding." He spoke wistfully, like the battle was already won, and something of legend. In his mind, it probably was. He'd paint himself as the hero in the history books, and no one would blink twice. 

"They're innocent men." You said. "Do you not see what you're saying?"

"They may be innocent but they're not men." Colin sneered. "You're a fool for thinking so - any monster is innocent technically, but that doesn't mean they wouldn't put their teeth in your neck the moment they have the chance."

"A skeleton isn't sentient like they are." You said. "Technoblade would never do something like that-"

Colin laughed mirthlessly. "Don't tell me you've fallen for the brute."

"Just because people spread rumors doesn't mean they're true." You said. "Technoblade has become a dear friend to me, nothing more."

"Well," Colin said, his voice mockingly sweet, like a mother giving advice. "These things take time, you know. I'm sure he'll be asking father for a courtship any day now-"

"At least I've bothered to become friends!" You said. "All you've done since the embassy got here is sneer and pick at your fingernails, it's no wonder why they don't like you."

"Ilbertus and I get along fine when we're not in the meeting room." Colin said. "It's your suitor who's the one that makes things difficult, what with all his ramblings about ethics and politics. He sounds more like an outdated history book than a war lord."

"No, it's you and your daft proposals that make everything difficult." You said. "This needs to stop before you drive us into war."

"Why are you so against it?" Colin asked. "War's great for the economy, and if we're fighting when father finally leaves the throne, it'll make the transition of power to me all the more easier. And all the kings have great epics written about them, I don't see what the problem is-"

"It's that you're wanting to eradicate an entire race!" You said. "You'll take the Nether, and then what, the End? When does it stop Colin-?"

"The End would be nice." Colin interrupted, musing to himself. "It would be an easy takeover, I can picture it now. You mysteriously turn up dead, we blame some Enderman - maybe the twins - and the war unfolds from there. It's the perfect excuse- why've you got that look on your face?"

Your stomach felt like it was filled with acid, bubbling up your throat and eating away at your insides. "You just said that you would kill me."

Colin grinned. "C'mon, it's in jest you know-"

"Is it?" You hissed quietly. "I wouldn't put if past you."

For the first time since you had been small, Colin stopped, taken aback. He blinked at you, an offended look coming across his face, like you were ludicrous for suggesting that he had been serious about killing a member of his family. You would have liked to believe the shock on his face, but logic was holding you back. 

It wasn't uncommon for royal families to die by their own brethren's hands after all. And Colin already had so much blood on his.

"I'm going to go." You said, turning back towards the door. 

"Fine." Colin said, stony. "I've got better things to do anyway."

Your hand hovered over the door handle. "Like what?"

"Planning the party I'll throw for my birthday." Colin said, like none of the previous conversation had happened at all.