22

The hallways were empty as you made your way to the infirmary - a fact for which you were glad, because you were absolutely fuming, and you pitied the poor servant who would have accidentally gotten in your way. There would be no end to your wrath. 

The only anchor was your steady grip around Technoblade's hand, a reminder that there were other things to be taken care of first. 

The glass cuts across the back of your hand stung. What had Colin been thinking? Obviously he hadn't been - but it wouldn't surprise you if he'd done something like that completely sober too. It had been obvious to you before, but now the entire ballroom had seen what kin of person Colin was. It was like he couldn't see the consequences of his actions at all. Reputation meant nothing, even though that was the name of the game. 

You found the infirmary and pushed the door open, breezing inside. This room was also empty - no doubt the court physician was taking the evening off. It didn't matter though, you had enough common sense of herbs and medicine to find the healing poultice you would need. 

You dropped Technoblade's hand to reach up into one of the cabinets, fumbling for the bottle. 

"Here." Technoblade said, reaching up past you to grab the bottle you had been reaching for, and uncorking it. "Which hand was it?"

You presented the cut on your hand to him, and he gently poured some of the healing mixture over the skin, gently working the salve in with his fingers. It stung, but you just bit your lip and weathered the slight pain.

"Do you have any bandages?" He asked. 

"The next cabinet, there should be a few rolls." You said. 

Technoblade reached over to the next cabinet and pulled two rolls out, taking one and wrapping it around your hand, firm enough to hold the a healing salve to the wound, but soft enough where it was still comfortable. It was obvious that he'd had experience in this sort of field before - probably from the wars he'd fought in. 

He tied the bandage off and set the rest of the roll aside. "There." He said. "That shouldn't take too long to heal, and it didn't look like there were any shards in the cut-"

You traced a finger over his cheek, directly above where the cut was. "I'm so sorry." You said.

Technoblade winced, bringing a hand up to his cheek as well. "It's fine." He said. "It's just a small cut-"

"It's not fine." You said, all the rage you had been feeling on the walk from the ballroom coming back full force. "My brother is an insolent dog."

"I think that's been well established." Technoblade said as syou took to bottle of healing salve from his hands. Your other hand went up behind his head, finding where the strap of his mask tied and undoing the knot so that it slipped off his face.

Soft red eyes met yours, and you smiled thinly. "It's going to sting a bit."

"I think I can handle it." Technoblade said. 

You spread some of the healing salve over your fingers and traced your hand over the cut again, making sure there were no glass pieces stuck in the wound. You spread the poultice as evenly as you could, making sure you didn't miss any spots. After that, a bandage to hold it in place. 

You were making sure no air was caught under the wrapping when Technoblade's hand caught yours. Your eyes shifted from his cheek to meet his own gaze, and to see the wealth of swirling emotion behind the red you had come to know. There was something on his mind. 

"Technoblade?" You asked. "You look-"

Whatever you had been about to say died in your throat as Technoblade leaned in close to press your lips together. You stiffened for a moment - not expecting the feeling of the small fangs or the insistence with which he kissed you, but soon enough your eyes fluttered closed and you melted into the contact. 

The kiss only lasted for a moment before Technoblade pulled away sharply. You opened your eyes to see an expression of pure panic across his features, and he dropped the hand that he had been holding, rapidly grabbing for his mask and tying it back around his face. 

"I am so sorry." He stuttered out, not meeting your eyes. "Please forgive me, your highness-"

"Technoblade-" You started, not quite sure what you wanted to say. There were so many feelings rushing through you - confusion, contentment, and still anger at Colin. It didn't matter though, because Technoblade was brushing past you, towards the door. 

"I must be going." He said, opening the door and breezing out into the hall. "And truly, I'm so very sorry." He didn't even cast a glance over his shoulder as the door swung shut behind him, leaving you alone in the infirmary. 

A hand came up to touch your lips in shock. What had just happened?

You sat down on the edge of the physician's table, trying to process everything at once. The gentle feeling of his lips pressing against yours. The care in which he had wrapped your hand. The looks you traded in the meetings. Talking about the Nether, and his siblings and Malcolinus and his fears of new war. The splashing in the fishpond. The shared lunches in the afternoon sunlight. 

Perhaps the twins had been onto something. 

But where did your own feelings fit in? 

You had only thought of him as a friend for the longest time, but you hadn't pushed him away when he had kissed you. In fact, you'd found yourself leaning in for more until he'd left the room so suddenly. Was it reactionary, or was it something you had been mistaking for friendship all along?

You sighed, running a thumb across your bandaged hand. There would be much to think about tonight, and you were sure your mind wasn't going to let you rest until you sorted out all of it.