30

You spent hours lounging in bed with Technoblade - moving back and forth from consciousness and giggling when he turned red as you pressed gentle kisses against his skin. A well earned break from the real world. Unfortunately for you though, you could not stave off the rest of your body's needs forever, and soon found yourself in the kitchen, watching as Technoblade cut an apple into thin slices. 

His hand moved methodically over the kitchen knife, and you watched as he laid each slice carefully on a plate, arranging them into something of a flower. 

"Bon appetite." He said, setting the plate next to where you were perched on one of the tables. "I'm not much of a chef, but-"

You took a slice from the middle of the bloom and popped it into your mouth. "It's beautiful. Who knew you had such artistic flare?"

Technoblade smiled, taking a slice for himself. "It's the least I could do."

You patted the empty space on the table next to you and Technoblade lifted himself to sit beside you, grabbing the plate of apple to settle it between your laps. You leaned into him, resting your head on his shoulder as you took another slice. There was something comforting about how solid he was, and how you could faintly hear his heartbeat. 

It was terrifying that you could have lost him. 

But that was behind you now, and hopefully nothing like it would ever happen again. You had barely made it through the night, and you had barely done any of the fighting. Just feeling all the fear pumping through you had been bad enough.

You bit down on another slice, and in the back of your mind, you could hear a faint wisp of voice, like an echo from the nightmare you had had.

Dierdre...

"Dierdre." You said aloud, shooting up from Technoblade's shoulder. 

His eyes snapped to yours, widening slightly, like something strange had just happened - like you had said what he had been thinking. "You-"

Whatever he was about to say was left behind, because you hopped off the table and headed to the door, dashing out of the kitchen. The pace of heavy footsteps behind you let you know that Technoblade had followed you, and in a few steps he was beside you again, still looking at you curiously. You paid him no mind though, too focused on the thought that had drifted into your mind. 

Dierdre.

You didn't know what you were going to do if she didn't make it. 

The infirmary wasn't too far from the kitchens, so it was only a short while before you arrived at the thick oak door. Technoblade pushed it open and you stepped inside, immediately met with the court physician, who had been writing something down when you opened the door. 

He stooped into a bow. "Your Highness." He said. "Lord Technoblade. What can I do for you-?"

"Is Dierdre alright?" You cut off the end of his sentence, worrying your lip between your teeth. 

The court physician stood back up, a soft sort of look coming over his face. Your heart leapt into your throat. 

"She'll be alright, I think." He said. "It was almost too late, and she lost a lot of blood, but with the help of some instant regeneration potions and some healing salves we managed to knit the wound closed and encourage new skin to grow."

You let out a heavy exhale. "Thank god."

"Her brother hasn't left her side since he brought her here." The physician continued. "She's probably asleep, but you could go see her if you like. She's on the farthest bed, closest to the window."

"Thank you, thank you." You said again, shooting the physician one last smile before stepping around him and heading towards the back of the room, where the patient beds were. Only two were filled - at one end, curtains drawn around the bed, and at the other, Tarquin, curled around a sleeping Dierdre like a cat.

He looked up as you hurried over, a tired grin sweeping across his face. "Y/N."

"Tarquin." You said, draping yourself over him in a hug. "I'm so sorry."

"She'll make it." Tarquin said, glancing down at his sleeping sister. You followed his gaze, your eyes catching on the large patch of slightly off-colored skin where the blade had hit her. It was a tad lighter than the rest of her deep purple skin, marking where Ilbertus' axe had cleaved through her. Scar tissue. 

You reached down to run a hand over the skin, and Dierdre stirred, blearily opening her eyes. Your gaze connected with hers immediately, and you felt tears prick at the corner of your eyes. 

"Y/N." Dierdre said, her voice raspy. You stooped down to wrap your arms around her shoulders, squeezing fiercely. If a few tears slipped down your cheeks, that was between you and her. 

"You're alive." You breathed, pressing your face into her shoulder. 

"So are you." Dierdre returned, running a hand through your hair. 

You let go so that she could settle into a more comfortable position, leaning on Tarquin. Her eyes found Technoblade next, and she smiled. "Lord Techno-"

"Just Technoblade is fine." Technoblade said. 

"Technoblade." Dierdre grinned. "It's good to see that you made it out too, I wasn't exactly fully conscious for some of the fight-"

Technoblade reached forward to take one of Dierdre's hands, pressing a gentle kiss to her knuckles. "Thank you Dierdre." He interrupted softly. "For protecting Y/N."

If Dierdre wasn't such a deep purple, you swore she would have blushed, taking her hand back hesitantly. "Oh. You're more than welcome; it's my duty to the crown after all."

"It means more to me than you know." Technoblade said, draping an arm over your shoulders. You leaned into the touch subconsciously. 

Dierdre's eyes flickered between the two of you, and she smiled, laying her head on her brother's shoulder. "Oh, Tarquin it's true love."

He just smiled, laying his head on top of hers. 

Knowing that Dierdre was alright made the last of the tension of the past two days lift from your shoulders, and you allowed yourself this moment just to feel - Technoblade's arm around you, the gentle purple of the twins eyes, and the sunlight streaming through the window, refreshing and bright.