32

You were named crown heir a few days later, in a big ceremony that you thought was way too much for just a change in who was going to inherit the throne. There was a procession, and you had to take an oath that you would lead with a level head and protect the villages that flew your flag, and it was long and the ceremonial drape was itchy, but after it all, the diamond circlet was placed on your head, and the real festivities could begin.

A ball, just like the night you had met Technoblade. You even wore the same outfit - you were swathed in the royal blue and cyan of your kingdom's flag as you descended into the ballroom. The gathered members of the court and the guests applauded as you walked, and you smiled, not quite used to the attention. There were hundreds of eyes on you, but you immediately found the two sets of bright violet waiting for you by the ballroom floor. 

Dierdre and Tarquin were waiting for you. 

You stopped in front of them as they both stooped into a respectful bow. Dierdre had recovered extraordinarily quick thanks to the careful care of the court physician and a constant supply of regeneration salves. The scar was barely noticeable underneath her sheer robe. 

"Congratultions." Dierdre said as she stood back up. "How does it feel?"

"The same, for now." You said. "The circlet it kind of heavy though." 

"Well, it is solid diamond." Tarquin pointed out. 

Around you, the crowd of partygoers shifted as the orchestra started up, organizing themselves into an upbeat waltz. You smiled, recognizing the song. It was the song from the disk that Colin had looted, and that you and the twins had danced to those few weeks ago.  It felt like years. 

You turned to the twins. "Care for a dance?"

Dierdre perked up, but Tarquin put a hand on her shoulder. "No rigorous activity for this one."

Dierdre pouted. "It's just one dance-"

"Nope." Tarquin smiled. "My apologies, your Highness, but not tonight. Perhaps you should ask your handsome warlord."

You laughed, grinning at the twins. "Perhaps I shall." 

Tarquin led Dierdre away from the dancefloor and you turned around, looking for the tall stature and pink braid that you had come to know. 

"Looking for someone?" 

A hand on your back let you know that Technoblade was there, and you were ready when he spun you around, catching you in a waltzing position and starting off into the swirl of the ballroom, a smile on his face. 

Your eyes widened. His face.

"You're not wearing your mask?" You asked, stepping along to the music. 

Technoblade flushed slightly. "Well, your brother isn't attending, and you always say that I look better without it-"

You smiled, your free hand running over the scar on his cheek from where the glass shard had cut across the skin - the night he had kissed you. The night he could have died. "You do." You said. 

Technoblade smiled, a little bashful. "You looked stunning in that crown at the ceremony."

"It's so heavy." You confided. "Solid diamond - the thing must weigh at least five pounds. I understand why father can't wear his too long now, my neck was starting to hurt just after a few minutes."

 "It gets easier to bear." Technoblade said, spinning you. "And you wear it well."

The song changed then, from upbeat to something more slow and full of emotion. Technoblade pulled you close, his free hand finding your hip as you placed your other hand on his shoulder, letting him guide you through the music and the packed ballroom as you danced. There was a soft sort of look on his face as he glanced around the room - he was thinking about something.

"What's on your mind?" You asked.

"Just... this." He said, looking back down at you. "Us."

"What about us?" You said, laying your head on Technoblade's chest as you danced. 

You could feel the rumble of his voice in his chest when he spoke again. "This is one of the songs we danced to on that first night, when I had just arrived."

You hummed, a smile coming to your lips. "When I had to basically drag you to dance at your own party-"

Technoblade laughed. "I was nervous. I was a foreigner, and not human, and there because of murder, and you were..." He trailed off. 

"I was what?" 

"Breathtaking." Technoblade said. "You still are."

Giddiniess erupted in your chest as you danced along with him, feeling the music and his hand steady on your back. It already felt like you had known him for years, even if you hadn't really. You would be happy to spend the rest of your life with Technoblade by your side.

"What are you thinking about?" Technoblade turned the question to you.

You hummed. "The future, I suppose."

"What about the future?" He asked, spinning you around. 

"I want you to be in it." You said as you came back from the spin, looking him in the eye. 

Technoblade smiled, squeezing the hand that was in his. "I wasn't kidding about getting married you know." He said.

There must have been some sort of shock on your face because he rapidly turned pink, taking it back. "Unless you don't want to, of course, I wouldn't force-"

"I would love to!" You rapidly amended, remembering how he had run away the last time you hand't been quick to respond. "I would love to."

Technoblade smiled, leaning down to quickly press a chaste kiss to your lips. "Sorry." He muttered, righting himself. "Had to."

You laughed, leaning up to him as the dance spun you around to give him a proper kiss. These had been the strangest weeks of your life. First the embassy, the negotiations, the birthday party turned assassination... but it had all brought you to this moment. The love of your life in your arms, and a bright future ahead. 

This new crown might have been a heavy weight to bear on your own, but not for two people.