Chapter Fourteen

I run as fast as I can as the sun dips below the horizon, the last gasp of beauty before the death of the day. A cool summer breeze whips against me, as I push my way through the long grass without a care in the world. I throw my arms out, running my fingertips across the wildflowers that are scattered upon the field surrounding me. Taking a deep breath in through my nose, I inhale the scent of growing grass and sweet berries. A smile is plastered over my flushed face as I throw my head back and take in the beauty surrounding me.

"You'll have to run faster than that" chuckles a voice from behind me, their tone playful even as they pant between words. Turning around, my eyes land on Loki, his long black hair whipping against his face as he picks up his pace.

Grabbing the hem of my dress, I pick up the pace, careful not to trip on the delicate roots on the medow floor. What was moments before a gentle laugh has now developed into a hysterical, uncontrollable outburst, slowing my feet beneath me. My hair whips in my face as the wind picks up its pace, slowing me even more and preventing me from seeing where I'm going. Just as my foot gets caught in the meadow roots, a strong pair of arms wrap around my waist and lift me into the air. My smile grows wider and my laughing louder as Loki spins me around above him. Time stops and the meadow around us fades away, my mind getting lost in Loki's beauty.

After what feels like forever but in reality has only been seconds, I return to earth, my feet landing firmly on the floor just in front of Loki. After checking he's placed me firmly on the ground, Loki reaches forwards, taking my hand and leading me back up the hill all the while a smile plastered upon his face. Pulling me down after him, he sits down under the old willow tree that stands in the middle of the fields before he pulls me into his chest. His embrace is surprisingly warm, considering his frost giant heritage, and his arms seem very protective when wrapped around my frail body, cradling me against his side. In his embrace, it feels as though time has stopped.

"Please don't leave." I whisper against his chest, my eyes remaining fixed on the horizon even as I bury my face deeper into Loki's shirt. A sigh is released from his lips, his arms wrapping even tighter around me as he presses a gentle kiss against my hair. Taking a deep breath, I close my eyes and let the tear that has collected upon my bottom eyelash fall down my cheek, it soaking into Loki's shirt almost instantly.

"You know I have no choice Abi," he mumbles against my head. I nod, sitting upright and turning my back to Loki who sits upright too. Gently, he places a hand on my shoulder only for me to shrug it off again seconds later. "Thor needs my help." he explains softly. My eyes begin to fill with tears once again, one escaping and falling onto my cheek, leaving behind a glistening trail. Turning me to face him, Loki sighs before he takes his thumb and wipes the tears away. He smiles weakly at me, putting his hand on the side of my face as I lean into it and smile up at him.

"I'll miss you." I sigh, closing my eyes and letting my head drop forwards until it falls against Loki's hard chest. Taking his hand in both of mine, I lift it to my lips and gently press a kiss against his knuckles before hugging it tightly to my body.

"I'll miss you too my queen." he kisses the top of my head before pulling himself up off the ground. He offers me his hand and I take it, pulling myself to my feet, my dress falling loosely around my body as it drags along the meadow floor. Sighing, I rest my head on his shoulder as we walk towards the stables, hand in hand.

Once we reach the edge of the castle, I push open the large wooden doors leading to the stable to reveal the young stable boy and his sister inside. Nodding in respect, the stable boy hands Loki the reins of his horse, the white creature silently following as Loki leads it outside towards the Bifrost. Before mounting his horse, he turns to me, pressing a playful kiss on the tip of my nose and handing me a small necklace.

"I promise I'll be home soon." he assures me whilst he fastens the clasp on the necklace, his fingers brushing against my cool skin. Once he's done, he mounts his horse as my hands hold tightly onto the necklace around my neck, twisting the cold metal between my fingers. Looking down, I stare at the intricate heart design, a small letter L dangling in the centre.

"I'm counting on it." I whisper as tears began to stain my face. Looking back up, I give Lokis outstretched hand one final squeeze before letting it go and allowing him to grab the reins of his horse.

"I love you." Loki shouts as he rides off into the distance, his figure disappearing into the Bifrost with a blast of light and leaving me stood alone, the light slowly fading from the day along with Loki.

"I love you too..."