Chapter four/five- Ethan's POV

With a hand rested lazily against my head, I finished scribbling down the last of my algebra homework and willed my eyes to stay open.

 Why was I still working at half eleven in the night, you may ask?

Well, one because Lucas had come over today, and he was distracting as fuck. And two, because I needed to have perfect grades if I wanted to get into med school. 

A lot of the students seemed to think I was some kind of naturally gifted freak. But in reality, the reason I did well was due to the fact I worked my arse off when nobody was looking.

I was suddenly jolted a little bit more awake by the sound of an angry knocking sound on my door.

"Ethan, if you don't stop studying and get to bed in the next five minutes, I'm going to slap your eighteen-year-old grown arse right into tomorrow," my mother hissed through the door.

At the sound of her threat, I quite quickly dropped my pen down onto the paper.

 If there was anything you needed to know to survive in my household; it was don't fuck with my mum. She might not 'slap my arse' as she so crudely put it, but she would find a chance to embarrass the shit out of me, the first chance she got.

"Okay, fine, mum, I'm going to bed," I called out with a sigh as rolled my chair out from under my desk. 

"Good," my mum huffed before storming away.

 She hadn't always been so rigid about what time I studied till, but ever since she found me asleep on my desk one morning, she suddenly got all worried. 

Rubbing a tired hand over my face, I quickly removed my glasses and dumped them lazily onto my desk. Once I had turned off the light, I grabbed the end of my shirt and pulled it over my back in a single motion before chucking it into my hamper in the corner.

Shirtless now, with only my grey joggers on, I flopped down into my bed with a tired groan before lazily draping the covers over my back.

The moment my head hit the pillow, the tiredness I was feeling started to drown me, and soon sleep swept me away.

Driving down the long empty road, I kept a lazy hand on the steering wheel and another upon the armrest. It was only as I was nearing a traffic light, did I notice someone standing by the edge of the road. 

And by someone, I mean Mia. 

 Those big brown eyes of her were fixed solely on mine and held a dangerous spark in them. It was almost as though she knew I was about to drive by and was waiting for me.

As though in a trance, I slowed the car down to a halt right in front of her. Then without a word, she just smirked before opening the passenger door and taking a seat.

I eyed her up and down in confusion, surprised by how easily she had gotten into the car. She hated me...

"Why were you just standing there?" I asked in confusion.

She just shrugged, her smile remaining on her face. "I was waiting for you," she said, her eyes never leaving my own.

My eyes narrowed in suspicion. "Why? I thought you hated me after everything I did yesterday?" I asked cautiously.

She shrugged. "You're right; I do hate you," she said flatly. 

I felt a painful pang in my heart at her words, but then she shocked me by leaning closer to me and placing a hand on my knee.