Chapter 39

Nate

"Where are we going?" gabs asked as we drove off.

"You will know when we get there"

"Yeah obviously" she huffed and rolled her eyes.

"Why are you acting bratty?"

"You and mommy always keep secrets"

"We do that to protect you"

"Where's Carson?"

"He died, you know this"

"No he didn't"

"Why would you say that?"

"Felt like it"

"What?"

She stared at me before looking out the window.

"Why would you tell us that now?"

"I wanted to keep secrets like you and mommy"

"Gabbi that's not okay"

"Then why do you you do it"

"Gab" I sighed.

She turned her back on me again and looked out the window. Fuck

I drove us to the mall and I got out but Gabbi was still pouting in the car. I went over to her side and grabbed her. "Let's put a smile on that face" I sat her down only for her to walk in front of me the whole time.

"Where do you wanna go?"

"Ice cream" she muttered.

"Okay" I went and got ice cream. I decided to take her to the jewelry store and she picked out a tennis bracelet and a silver chain and got her name engraved.

"What else?"

"That's all"

I payed for her things. We went to a bunch of clothing shops where she got a bunch of dresses then we went to the sneaker shop and she took a bunch of Nike and Jordan sneakers. "Anything else?"

She pointed at the toy shop. I payed for her shoes and we went to the toy shop. She ran around in the aisles picking toys and stuffed animals.

My arms were filled with bags but at least she's smiling. I don't know if I should tell maddie about what Gabbi said since mads is clearly making as if Carson never existed which is fine I know she needs time.

"Done" Gabbi came to me with a cart full of toys.

"Right let's pay"

"No need" she held up my card with a grin. "You sneaky minx"

"Learned it from you" she handed the card back, I payed and we headed back to the car. I loaded her things in the back while she was sitting in the front with her ice coffee that she just had to get.

I got in the car and we started driving back home but gab wanted to stop at some random park. I parked the car and Gabbi ran over to the swingset. "Daddy! I need a push"

"Fine" I went over to her and started pushing her. I pushed her really high and she screamed her head off. "Stop!"

"Okay fine" I chuckled and stopped the swing. She got off and went over to other things. I sat on a nearby bench and watched her.

I texted maddie that we would be home in an hour and saw that jax sent me a message so I called him.

"Hey bro"

"Your parents gone?"

"Yeah, security cleared the place"

"Okay"

"I'm sorry about how things went down between us, I just want to give my parents another chance while they're still alive"

"I get it but just give me a heads up next time"

"Got it" I ended the call and looked up to see Gabbi surrounded by a bunch of men. I took my gun out of my waistband and walked up to them. I grabbed Gabbi by the hand and put her behind me.

"We have a problem?"

"You are Mr Anderson?"

"What do you want?"

"Boss sends his love" he took out his gun before I could I react and shot me in the leg. I heard Gabbi scream and I lifted my gun and shot them in the arm making them drop their weapons which gave me time to run and put gabbi in the car and drive.

"Daddy you're bleeding" she yelled.

We got in the car and I started the car and sped off. I threw Gabbi my phone and told her to call Bryce. I looked in the mirror to see a black car following us. Fuck fuck fuck.

"What's happening" Gab screamed as I sped down the road. "Just get down please, we can talk when we're safe"

"Why are they shooting? , I want mommy" she cried out.

"Call Bryce"

She dialed the number before putting it on speaker. "Wassup"

"Some fuckers are shooting at me and gabbi"

"Where are you?"

"Two blocks away"

"Stop at the second block, I'll have the guys waiting for them"

"Okay" he hung up and I looked to the back to see the black car speeding up. Son of a bitch.

I slammed the gas as we drove to the second block. As I drove down the street, I got a view of Bryce and the guys waiting in the trucks and I looked back again and saw them starting to back out. I reversed and slammed into them preventing them from going anywhere.

"Mommy" Gabbi screamed as madison came running out of the truck with a bulletproof vest on and a gun in her hand, before I could get out she ran past the truck and started shooting at the car.

"Madison" I got out the car completely running on adrenaline and forgetting that I got shot.

"You fuckers" she shot the guy in the head before I grabbed the gun. "Our gabbi is traumatised stop" I grabbed her face and made her look at me.

"Fine" she sighed and looked down. Shit

"Why the fuck are you bleeding?"

"Forget about my leg, we need to take care of gabbi"

She sighed before rushing to the side where gabbi was hiding. "Baby" she grabbed gabbi and held her in her arms.

"They were shooting" she sobbed into maddie's shirt.

"You okay" Jax walked up to me. "Yeah just wish she wasn't there to witness that"

"We'll just call the therapist and keep her mental health in check"

"I fucked up, I should've seen them approaching her"

"We will find out who did this"