Chapter Fifteen

The sun has risen by the time I wake the next morning, birds cheeping outside my window as I lay in bed for a few moments. A shout comes from the kitchen, several mumbles following it and causing me to groan, pulling the cover back over my head and shutting out the world around me. Just a few more minutes. Please. As if reading my thoughts and needing to annoy me, a knock comes from my door. Sighing loudly, I pull back the covers and throw on the dressing gown that hangs over the chair at my desk, the silk soft against my body. As I pull open the door, I'm greeted by Tony's face, his eyes scanning my up and down before he raises his eyebrows at me.

"Get dressed." he hisses, marching off in the opposite direction with a coffee mug fixed in one hand and a newspaper in the other. A little taken aback, I stand in the door for a few moments, watching his figure disappear before closing the door again and heading for my wardrobe. Grabbing the first things I find, I quickly check the mirror, fixing the dress that clings to my frame before I head out the door and towards the kitchen, quickly grabbing my phone on the way.

As soon as I push open the kitchen doors, the smell of freshly baked goods invaded my lungs, a sigh of relief leaving my mouth. "Morning Abi," mumbles Nat when she sees me, offering me a plate of croissants as I take one, returning her warm smile before heading for the coffee machine. Before I can turn it on, Tony hands me a steaming cup.

"Erm thanks." I whisper, taking the cup from him and taking a seat around the kitchen table. Rubbing at my eyes, I yawn and stretch before taking a large sip of the coffee in front of me and an even larger bite of my croissant. A moan comes from me as I bite into the warm food.

"Sleep well?" asks Tony, taking a seat opposite me with his own coffee and croissant as he stares at me. Pausing per way through taking a bite of my croissant, I frown at him, shrugging my shoulders. Rolling his eyes, Tony points towards my eyes as I turn around to the mirror that sits near the door to find large bags have formed under my eyes.

"I had a really strange dream..." I explain, trailing off as my mind wanders to last night and the little sleep I had. Shivering, I rub mat arms with my palms and push away the croissant Nat offer me, bike rising in my throat a the thought of the weird dreams I had last night.

Raising his eyebrows and taking a sip of his coffee, Tony's eyes remain fixed upon me as a small smirk tugs at the corner of his lips. "Didn't have anything to do with what happened last night did it?" he raises his eyebrows before standing up and heading for there dishwasher. To my left, Nat's head looks up from her croissant, a smirk fixed upon her face as she looks suggestively at me. Steve, who's been reading his book the whole time glances a few times between me and Tony, his eyes growing narrower with each turn of his head.

"Tony," I sigh, placing my drink down and leaning backwards in the chair just as he turns to face me, his arms crossed firmly across his chest. "please don't do this here."

"What happened last night?" Steve asks, quickly placing his bookmark in his book before closing it and placing it on the table in front of him. Leaning forwards and abandoning her own croissant, Nat rests her chin on her hand, staring expectantly at me.

"Nothing did!" I hiss, glaring at Tony before smiling at Nat who bites her lip, trying her hardest not to laugh. Rolling my eyes, I grab the plate from the table, shoving it in the dishwasher before placing the coffee cup in the bin.

"It would've if I hadn't walked in." counters Tony from behind me, trying to keep his voice hushed but completely failing. Spinning in my heel, I attempt to say something bust quickly stop as small orange sparks form in the centre of the room. As the sparks grow brighter, a portal forms and Stephen emerges from within it, resulting in a scoff from Tony.

"Morning everyone." Stephen welcomes cheerily, the portal fading behind him as he steps further into the kitchen, making his way across to the table where he glances at me briefly. Heat rises in my cheeks as I smile shyly at him, averting my gaze and smiling even more to myself.

"Speak of the devil and he will appear." mutters Tony as he walks towards Stephen, who takes a seat opposite me and Nat. Looking back up, my eyes land upon Tony's face, his muscles tight and his jaw locked. His hands have formed fists and he now glares at Stephen, his eyes full of fury as he towers above him.

"What did I do now?" sighs Stephen glancing once more at me briefly before turning back to Tony who raises his eyebrows at him.

"Oh, I don't know," Tony puts his finger to his chin as if thinking, his eyes looking up to the ceiling whilst the muscles in his face still remain tight. "How about the fact you tried to kiss my sister last night?" Whipping his head down, Tony locks his lips tightly together before crossing his arms against his chest and waiting for Stephen to say something.

Suddenly, the door behind me bursts open as Sam emerges from behind it, hide eyes almost as wide as Nat's as he glances back and forth between me and Stephen. "Strange tried to kiss Abi?" he asks, chuckling at Stephen, who buried his head in his hands, his face turning a shade of bright pink.

"Oh he's a dead man." laughs Nat from where she sits beside me, amusement spread across her face as she grabs her empty plate and heads stands up, heading for the dishwasher.

"Nat!" I shout turning to her, elbowing her hard in the ribs as she walks past causing her to cry out. "don't encourage him!" I hiss, standing up from my own seat and making my way around the table and towards Tony's side.

"Let me get this straight Doc," Tony points a finger at Stephen, leaning down until he's inches away from his face. Slightly taken aback by the closeness of Tony Stephen shuffles backwards, falling off his chair before he regains his balance and leaning against the table, "Stay away from Abi or I'll..."

"You'll what?" interups Stephen, stepping closer to Tony once again, their figures both the same height as they stare each other down. "Kill me? I'd like to see you try." A small smirk tugs at Stephen's lips, his ego getting the better of him once again. This is so going to end well. Not.

"Oh, okay big man," says Tony stepping backwards a bit and chuckling to himself. Lifting his arms out to his side, Tony points towards the door on the far side of the room. "Outside now!" he shouts as they both begin to head for the door, my chest tightening and the monster I've kept caged for so long bursting free from its chains.

"STOP!" I scream, my voice echoing loudly through the room just as a burst of magic flies from deep within me. The lights above us spark, eventually burning out as a few cries of shock come from within the room. Taking a deep breath, I look down at my hands which shake, the light that had burst from them still glowing faintly.

Ignoring me, Tony reaches for the door handling only to hiss as sparks fly from it, his body sent tumbling backwards into the back of the sofa. Groaning, Tony pulls himself up off the floor and turns to face me, hair eyes cold and unnerving. "Open the door Abi." he demands coldly as he stands frozen in front of me, the tears in my eyes blurring his figure slightly.

"No." I argue with a quiet whisper, my voice breaking whilst my chin trembles slightly. A hand reaches for my shoulder and I flinch, turning to see Stephens hurt expression behind me. Shaking my head at him, I hug my still glowing hands tightly to my chest before beginning to head for the door that leads to my room. "I won't be responsible for you two killing each other. I won't." I snap, pulling open the door with ease and marching through it into the darkness, the door slamming behind me and leaving the room in silence.