𝐗𝐗𝐈𝐕. THE PENSIEVE

CHAPTER TWENTY-FOURTHE PENSIEVE

CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR
THE PENSIEVE

§ § §

Dumbledore's office isn't anything like I remembered. His thousands of trinkets are gone, Fawkes is no longer lighting up the room, the previous Headmasters have left their portraits.

Harry and I take a few steps forward, and a set of doors open, revealing the Pensieve. Harry walked over to it and pulls the dish out, letting it float in the room in between us.

He reaches into his pocket and pulls out the vial with Snape's tear, and dumps it in.

"Ready?" Harry asks, looking up at me.

No. I try to say it. My grief makes it hard for me to form words. I resort to shaking my head.

We lean down and press our faces to the surface, falling into the memories.

Landing on a grassy hill, I saw two girls standing face to face with each other. One has strikingly red hair, the other has black.

One is my mother, one is my aunt.

My mother, Lily, hold a flower feed in her hand, and when she opens it, the seed blooms into a small flower.

"Freak!" Petunia yelled, slapping the flower from Lily's hand. Lily turned and ran away, but Petunia stormed after her. "Come here! I'm going to tell Mummy! You're a freak! You're a freak, Lily!"

Lily stopped by a large tree, and a young boy with long dark hair and a pointy nose walked out from the hole in the trunk.

It's Snape. Petunia stops yelling for a second, then turns and runs away.

Snape picked up a helicopter seed and floated it to Lily, who caught it in her hand. She smiled at him and he smiled back, both of them standing under the tree.

The next image is them laying by the lake, talking about my aunt. "She's jealous," Snape said. "She's ordinary, and you're special."

"That's mean, Severus."

I wonder how she's my mother. I have never been as kind as her. The thought makes me frown.

The memory of my mother and Snape's summer fades, along with the echo of Lily's laughter. When it reforms, we're in familiar territory, in Hogwarts.

"Gryffindor!" The Sorting Hat yelled, and Lily, a huge grin on her face, walked over to the Gryffindor table. Snape watches her go, a frown on his face.

She sits next to a boy with dark, messy hair, and round glasses. I instantly smile, knowing it's my father.

"Hi, I'm James."

"Hi, I'm Lily."

They shake hands, and my heart hurts.

Adult Snape's voice echoes, You're just like your father, as a memory of Lily and Snape walked together in the hall surfaces. James runs through and pushes their books to the ground, a young boy with long hair I can only imagine is Sirius running behind him. Lazy, arrogant.