Chapter 38

Tanna Carson

"Okay Al, what about this one?" After throwing on the cropped cream cardigan over the lavender plaid dress, I step into view of the camera. "At this point, if it doesn't look good, I'm just not going."

"It looks fine." I sigh, stopping in my place as I bring both my hand up to my face, laughing irritatedly at his words. I shake my head slightly, tilting my head towards the ceiling as I breath in slowly.

"What is your problem?" The words leave my lips without a second thought as I move my hands away from my face in frustration.

"Excuse me?" Alex's eyes are now fixated on me from the other side of the screen as he listens to me intently.

"You've been acting so off for the last two weeks, I can't take it anymore. It's like something in you switched. Did I do something that you're choosing not to tell me about?"

"I'm the one that's switched? That's rich coming from you." I raise my eyebrow at his words, moving to sit down at my desk, directly in front of the camera.

"Alex if you have a problem with me, I suggest you just tell me."

"You know what the problem is? Ever since you've gone back to London, all you've done is think about yourself." I can't help but feel taken aback by the words that leave his lips.

"I left because I needed the time to myself. I needed to feel okay by myself, without needing to depend on anyone to feel happy."

"By yourself right? That's exactly why you've been going on dates with Jesse over the past two weeks?" I stare at him, chuckling in disbelief while shaking me head slightly.

"Is that what this is about? This is all about Jesse. I should have known, every time I mentioned his name you always had this attitude."

"I'm not the one with an attitude Tanna, you're being a hypocrite. You left so you could get away from Luke and get space to think about things, only to get involved with someone else."

"Is it really so bad that I've been on a few dates with Jesse? What difference does it make to you what I do and don't do with my life."

"You did not just say that." He shakes his head in incredulity, his voice filled with shock. "Every single decision we make, we always come to each other but since Jesse came back into the picture, it's changed."

"You're my best friend Alex. You're supposed to support me!"

"How can I support you when you barely even speak to me anymore?!"

"I speak to you all the time. What, am I supposed to speak to you every breathing second of every day, get over that."

"What the hell Tanna, last year you'd call me every second you got the chance to, did you just forget that, now every time you call if I'm even lucky enough to get a call from you it lasts for twenty minutes max before Jesse calls. Even when he doesn't, I haven't had your full attention because you'd message him while I was talking to you.

"This isn't about that Alex. Why can't you just let me be happy for once!?"

"I don't want to respond to that, I don't even know what to say to you right now."

"Then don't." The two of us finally stop shouting at each other, letting the silence surround us as my words soak in.

"Whatever." Alex mutters, rolling his eyes in annoyance before ending the phone call, leaving me staring at the screen.

I groan, dropping my head into my hands as I stare at the desk beneath me. The situation starts to slowly become more and more real, making my heart tighten and my breathing quicken.

Alex and I have never fought like that, Ever and I'm not even there in person for the two of us to talk about it and try sort it out.

The sound of my phone ringing snaps me out of my thoughts and I lift my head to see Jesse's contact flashing across the screen.

A smile crosses my face as I reach for the phone, accepting the call before holding the phone up to my ear.

"Hey gorgeous, I'm outside."

"I'll be down in five, I just need to put my shoes on."

I hear him chuckle on the other side of the phone line, muttering an okay before hanging up the call.

I breath in deeply, trying to bring my breathing back to normal as I tie my shoes before wiping my eyes from the tears that escaped.

I fan my face as I walk downstairs and out the front door, seeing Jesse waiting inside his car in my driveway.

I smile as I climb into the passenger seat next to him, hugging him before buckling the seatbelt as he pulls out onto the main road.

Before I know it, after talking the whole car ride, Jesse pulls into the parking lot outside a restaurant.

"I hope this place is okay, I figured it'd be a nice place to grab lunch today." He says, hopping out of the car, waiting for me before the two of us walk towards the restaurants entrance.

"It's perfect." I smile genuinely as he places his hand on the small of my back, leading me inside the restaurant.

As the two of us take a seat at one of the tables, Jesse catches my attention by placing his hand on top of mine.

"I'm not sure what's on your mind, but you look really pretty." I can't help the smile that spreads across my face at the compliment and doesn't leave for the rest of our lunch.

"I've got this one remember?" I say, taking out my purse to grab my credit card.

"I do, but I lied, It's on me." He says, pushing my hand away from the waitress as he pays for the meal as I shake my head at him.

After thanking him for lunch, the two of us make our way back to his car before he drives us back to my house. I swing the door open, hopping out of the car after Jesse pulls into the driveway.

I walk towards the house, Jesse walking next to me as we reach the front door.

"Thanks for lunch Jess." I say, turning to face him completely, finally noticing how close he was actually standing.

I lift my gaze, noticing his gaze already on me, making my cheeks heat up. I watch as his eyes momentarily drop to my lips before looking back up to my eyes, silently asking for permission.

As soon as I nod my head slightly, he brings his lips down to mine, connecting them as I wrap my hands around his neck.