Chapter 47

Back at Harvey's house, Levi runs a bath for me. I watch him in silence, changing the temperature and adding soap. Once he was done, he stood in front of me and I follow after him, getting up from the closed toilet. Levi looks down at me, question filled his eyes.

"Stay. Please?" My voice is quiet, more fragile than normal. I don't like how small it makes me feel.

His eyebrows crease like he's thinking it over before he nods, subtly, and takes a seat where I was.

I slowly remove my clothes, one piece at a time. Peeling off my underwear, I hear Levi take a deep breath before averting his gaze.

He doesn't ask me anything or even bring it up as I wash the visible dirt from my body. The water turns a light pink color and my wounds sting when I sweep the cloth over my legs. They've all stopped bleeding but the bite mark on my hand is very perceptible and bruising badly.

Levi grabs a towel for me, wraps it around my body and carries me out of the tub. "You don't have to carry me. I can walk."

"I know." Placing me on the bed, he goes back into the bathroom and comes out with a first aid kit. He kneels in front of me and takes my hand in his, flipping it palm out. Levi stares at the marks, guilt all over his face and it tugs at my heart. He lowers his head on my lap. "I should've been there."

My free hand instantly goes to his jaw, forcing him to meet my . "Stop. Don't do that to yourself."

I knew he would blame himself. And it's not his fault. I wish I knew earlier but now that I know that Iris would've never stopped trying to get rid of me. She would have kept bothering us and I never wanted it to come to this but she's gone now. It's not Levi's fault that Iris had psychological problems and it's not his fault she attacked me.

"I should have never went to California, Kara. If I hadn't, you wouldn't be hurt and the death  of Iris would be on me. That's not a burden I want you to have to carry." He explains. He cleans the wound on my hand very gently that I almost can't feel it.

"You had no choice. You have a commitment to your gang, I understand that."

Levi doesn't respond at first and instead gets up to hand me his black sweatshirt. I hesitantly slip it on and put on a fresh pair of underwear before climbing into bed.

He soon joins me after taking off his shirt and pants. He pulls my waist in closer, holding me as if I would runaway. "You don't deserve this. I promise that I will give you the life that you were meant to have."

Shifting around to face him, I place my lips on his warm ones and run my fingers through his hair. "I just want a life with you," I say. He kisses me be back, intensely.

...

The next morning starts off somewhat peaceful. I would never admit it out loud but I feel relieved that I no longer need to worry about Iris. She's out of ours lives for good.

I know it's wrong to be even a little bit pleased about someone's death but I can't help but feel like that. There's nothing standing in the way of Levi and I being happy now.

"How did Ben get your number?" Levi asks me as he walks back into the bedroom with a plate of pancakes in one hand and my phone in the other. He must've picked it up for me in my dorm.

"I gave it to him."

He sets the food down in front of me so I can start eating and jumps beside me on the bed. "When? I know he didn't get it the last time we all hung out."

"I ran into him at the diner on campus and he invited me to his football game. I went yesterday with Mel and Lucas right before..."

"Hm. He didn't try anything did he?" He looks at me, his brow slightly creases. He's worried and he shouldn't.