Chapter 1| AYA

Present Time

"Aya! Do you want to take additional hours for today?"

"Sure, Jane!" But Jane is already walking away to help a customer, knowing the answer before she asks. For two years, it'd stayed the same. Want to work on your day off? Yes. Want to stock all the shelves because the new guy just quit? Yes. I've been everybody's go-to girl whenever a reliever is needed and savior anytime someone can't come because of an emergency. 

Want to sit alone in the apartment and not earn money? No. Rest was never in my vocabulary.

I value my work as a cashier at W Supermarket. W Supermarket is America's multinational retail corporation that operates a chain of hypermarkets, discount department stores, and grocery stores. And I worked in one of its branches in this quiet and small city of Worcester, Massachusetts. The city I now consider my home after I left New York five years ago. The city gave me a second chance—where I was given a second life.

"Aya, would you want to join the group that will represent our union in the yearly dinner meeting with the management?" Jane came back in a rush asking, emphasizing the word "dinner," and gave me a wink. I nodded without thinking twice. We both know how much I need to save and that anytime an opportunity comes for me to get free meals, promotional gift certificates, etc., I'm number one on the list.

Jane is not just a work supervisor to me; she is my savior and is now my only family. She is like the mother I have never had. Literally and figuratively, the "Mother Mary" who saved a "sinner daughter" that is me. She is a 55-year-old single woman who, just like me, was once a youngster weakened by peer pressure, lacked early sexual education, and was a fanatic of innocent young love that led to one of the world's great social issues- teenage pregnancy.

Jane's gesture of love always brings me back to that fateful night. The night when I died for the first time.

I kept walking with no direction in mind. It was the longest and darkest walk of my life. I didn't feel tired even after walking from that night until the following day. I didn't stop walking. Getting away from where Marc left me is the only thought on my mind.

"There is no more us." 

His family was my only family. When my parents died when I was 10, his parents took me in. We became closer, from just being neighbors to childhood friends to family. We kept our relationship a secret from his parents. He said we must wait for him to finish college and get a job before we can tell them. Because as he told me, they won't approve and if in case we need to run away, him having a job will secure our future together.

Marc was the only best person I've had since I can remember. The only one I trusted. The only one I liked. And the only one I loved. But in just a snap, I lost him; he became a stranger to me. He killed me and everything I have. I don't have a reason to live anymore.

I saw the Brooklyn bridge after long hours of walking. How majestic it is! My slow steps quickened. The bridge looked like my only solace. There is no better way to end everything than to jump off the iconic Brooklyn bridge.

Jane always reminds me she saw herself in me that fateful morning. She read what was going on in my mind as I walked fast towards the bridge. At that moment, her "mother's instinct" worked a wonder on me.

"Hey, are you from the area? I need a tour guide since it's my first time here." Jane said as she blocked my way towards the bridge. I ignored her several times, but she never gave up. The last thing I remembered, Jane was already guiding me towards the nearest bench. She gave me her twinkies and bottled water before I could say anything.

"My name is Jane. What is yours?"

"I'm Aya." I gave her my name hesitantly. Then, with some Divine intervention, I saw her in a different light. She was like an angel who came down from heaven, her aura as I looked at her illuminated. My croaking voice started opening up to her. I told her everything about Marc and my pregnancy. I felt her warmth that made me share my life with a stranger.

With no judgment, no questions asked, Jane made a decision that forever changed her life and mine.

"You are coming with me. Starting this moment, I'm your Mama Jane, and you are my daughter."

There was no reaction from me. I was too weak even to say a word. So I followed Jane silently as she walked towards her silver RAV 4. We traveled 3 hrs 17 mins via I-95 N. As we drove away from New York, I saw my life with Marc slip further away. That day Jane's city became my city. Her apartment became my home, and she became my Mama Jane. The one person who believed in me gave me a second chance in life. 

"Aya! Hey, Aya!" Len, the shift manager, was snapping her fingers in front of my face. "Did you hear me? I told you to transfer to the garden section. Get ready for the dinner meeting after your last hour." She was smiling while shaking her head. My face revealed that my mind zoned out for a few seconds. 

"Okay, thanks!" I headed towards the garden area. Realization hit me that transferring to the garden would be an advantage for me. I can search for flowers and plants the closing staff will discard for the day. I can prepare Angel's flowers for tomorrow. And I will not have to pay for it.

Sweet, sweet savings!

***